Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Piston Size
alland3851

posted on 28/7/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Piston Size

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding a 205 block from a transit. The pistons are Low compression. I want to change the pistons to HC . The marks on the top of the piston is D .030. Is this an imperial size , If so what would be the correct pistons to fit in metric ?

Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited on 28/7/13 by alland3851]

Canada EH!

posted on 28/7/13 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about metric, but it looks like the engine has been rebuilt once as that number would indicate a 30 thou imperial over bore.
omega0684

posted on 28/7/13 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
if its a 205 block you want to be boring it out to 93mm (maximum) and get a new set of pistons. a good machine shop will supply you with new pistons and rings and if you ask nicely they will even put them on your rods for you. Unless you are planning to put some serious power through the bottle end, in which case you want to go with forged pistons/rods etc, you could use the 2.9 v6 pistons (can't remember what engine they are from but im sure someone will add in the detail) this will increase the engine capacity to 2094cc

the +.030 on the piston top is 30 thou bigger than standard, so its already had a rebore before.

This might help, but its in metric ,

OE Bore size 90.83mm
Bore sizes available 90.89mm / 91.25mm / 91.5mm / 91.75mm / 92mm / 92.5mm / 93mm
Engine CC 1998.35cc / 2014.22cc / 2025.27cc / 2036.35cc / 2047.46cc / 2069.78cc / 2092.21cc

[Edited on 28/7/13 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alland3851

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it had been rebuilt before. Don't really want to go for a rebore just replace the pistons with the HC ones. Anyone recommend who could supply suitable pistons

[Edited on 28/7/13 by alland3851]

omega0684

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
What do you plan to do? are you building a race engine, or just something with a bit of poke?

What is your budget? are you building on a budget etc?

there are loads of places that sell forged pinto rods and pistons (just google it) but for a quality set of both brand new, i would be surprised if you saw much change out of a grand.

Burton Power sell them, PEC (performance engine components) sell then, farndon, are just a few.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alland3851

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I am not buiding the engine for race etc. I acquired this 205 block as the engine in the car was knackered. I just want to run the car with a standard set up. I am on a limited budget.
omega0684

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
so do you have a short block or a whole engine, if the engine definately needs a rebore and you are on a limitied budget, then contact a local engine builder and ask for a quote for a 93mm bore and replacement std pistons to suit, this will give you a little extra, also check shell tolerances on the crank and rods and replace if necessary, if they are out, you might need to have the crank reground and oversize shells put in instead (engine machine shop can do this as well as your rebore) and you might as well get the block decked if you need all of the above needs doing

[Edited on 28/7/13 by omega0684]

alland3851

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info. I will get in touch with my local engine shop.
omega0684

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
for a small fee they may even rebuild your bottom end for you.

britishtrident

posted on 28/7/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of common sense if it is rebored unless it was a genuine Ford exchange engine the pistons are likely to be high compression anyway, in my experience UK engine shops very rarely fit low compression pistons.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jacko

posted on 28/7/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
A bit of common sense if it is rebored unless it was a genuine Ford exchange engine the pistons are likely to be high compression anyway, in my experience UK engine shops very rarely fit low compression pistons.

Just what i was thinking
But if it has low compression piston's how about fitting a small turbo or supercharger

alland3851

posted on 28/7/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
H all, the reason I believed the pistons are low comp pistons was that the pistons have an L on the top and they don't come up flush wqith the block. I had been told that this indicates that they are low comp.
snapper

posted on 29/7/13 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
If it was a Transit engine and rebuilt they would fit like for like
You can fit second hand pistons over size with new rings for cheapness
A good mod is to have block decked so pistons are flush this give more compression and better squish

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

alland3851

posted on 29/7/13 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
That may be a better option for me.

Thanks again for all the replies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.