Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil cooler plumbing advice.
bi22le

posted on 29/7/13 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
oil cooler plumbing advice.

Hi all

Following my very hot bedford trackday I concluded that I do need an oil cooler for my 4age. It runs 120+ oil temp when pushed but with the additional heat and longer WOT time its was 150+. Bare in mind my temp sensor is on water to oil exchange at the oil filter under the exhaust. Well it did not go bang and doea not sound any more rattly so I guess no damage done.

Im looking at getting a mocal thermostatic take off plate and replace the water transfer but it does not have a temp sensor on it.

Can I safly stack oil filter plates? So have a plate for sensor mounting and then the mocal take off? I could drill and fit a sensor on the sump but not too keen on that as I need a quick bolt on fix before my next track day and have zero time to do it.

Anyone know of or have for sale a good place for an oil cooler kit?

Full write up of bedford track day to come.

Cheers for any advice

Bi22le

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

HowardB

posted on 29/7/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
you could fit a remote oilfilter kit, this might help, and some of them have a temp sensor fitting,...

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

rodgling

posted on 29/7/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Hi all

Following my very hot bedford trackday I concluded that I do need an oil cooler for my 4age. It runs 120+ oil temp when pushed but with the additional heat and longer WOT time its was 150+. Bare in mind my temp sensor is on water to oil exchange at the oil filter under the exhaust. Well it did not go bang and doea not sound any more rattly so I guess no damage done.

Im looking at getting a mocal thermostatic take off plate and replace the water transfer but it does not have a temp sensor on it.

Can I safly stack oil filter plates? So have a plate for sensor mounting and then the mocal take off? I could drill and fit a sensor on the sump but not too keen on that as I need a quick bolt on fix before my next track day and have zero time to do it.

Anyone know of or have for sale a good place for an oil cooler kit?

Full write up of bedford track day to come.

Cheers for any advice

Bi22le

Blimey, I was worried by my oil reaching 120! 150 is f*ing hot, I think you should definitely sort that. I have a couple of oil coolers for sale, I've got a brand new one 330x50x77mm, and a used one 330x50x150 mm, say £25 for either?

You could stick your temp sensor where the sump plug goes? I suspect stacking filter plates would be OK too.

Hope you enjoyed Bedford, sorry I missed you. I had a good day though, really pleased to finally have the handling of my car right (of course now the balance and feel is there I want more grip but that's another story...)

britishtrident

posted on 29/7/13 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
The sump plug is not the best place to fit a temperature sensor. You can get an inline fitting that will let fit a sensor in the hose between the exit of the cooler and oil gallery

150c is unlikely have done any harm to fully synthetic oil, but if oil in the sump is filled with semi-synthetic or mineral oil then I would advise changing the oil.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rodgling

posted on 29/7/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Smaller cooler gone but larger one still available (if you're really keen on the smaller one speak to steve on here and see if he'll go for the larger one instead).
bi22le

posted on 29/7/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Im using fuchs titan race R which is a ester synthetic oil. Do you think this will be ok?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

britishtrident

posted on 30/7/13 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
Any full synthetic should be fine.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tommyd584s

posted on 4/8/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
150 is way to hot and no fully synthetic oil will not cope with this at prolonged periods of time, the heat will break the oil down and it will essentially loose it's body. I'd recommend you change the oil before your next run. You want to be reading the oil temp pre cooling as it comes out the block and try to keep it at no more than 120. 90 is the optimum but this is unrealistic. I run a laminova cooler and a 16row conventional cooler on my race car. This keeps the engine at around 120 during a 40 minute race. Hope this helps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.