Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who is running an ZX12R A1? Help needed!
twybrow

posted on 29/7/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Who is running an ZX12R A1? Help needed!

Calling any Locostbuilders members who run a ZX12R lump in their car, and more specifically, anyone who uses the A1 lump (2000 model year - 2 equally sized plugs on the ECU, full power model, 220mph clocks)!!!

I think I may have a faulty ECU, as I have tested just about everything I can find that goes into and out of my ECU, and it all seems to be normal. I suspect I have a broken transistor that switches the fuel pump relay to earth. Rather than buying a replacement ECU to test this theory, I would like to send my ECU to a fellow member to try on their car. If my ECU works without fault on another car, then it tells me that I must have another fault in my loom that I have not yet found. If it doesn't work, then it tells me that my dead ECU theory is much more likely, and therefore investing in a replacement is worthwhile (it has worked without any related faults for 18 months).

So would anyone out there with an A1 ZX12R lump be prepared to try my ECU in your car? I have no reason whatsoever to believe this could hurt your car in any way (whereas it could if I plugged your ECU into my car!). I will cover all of the postage cost, and perhaps some beer tokens too - please help!

Peteff

posted on 29/7/13 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Could you put the pump on it's own ignition controlled circuit ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

twybrow

posted on 29/7/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Could you put the pump on it's own ignition controlled circuit ?

Hi Pete

The same circuit also powers the injectors - and also sends a signal to the ECU as a check to make sure it is all running correctly. So yes, I can force the fuel pump to run, but it does not really fix the problem...

bigrich

posted on 29/7/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checkedf the resistor on the ignition system. Think its a grey wire.if is the same as other Kawasaki's If this fails or is out of spec the ecu wont function etc.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

twybrow

posted on 29/7/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
Have you checkedf the resistor on the ignition system. Think its a grey wire.if is the same as other Kawasaki's If this fails or is out of spec the ecu wont function etc.

Hi BigRich - I have checked that I get voltage at the ECU terminal that the grey wire + resistor leads to... I am getting ~12V at the ECU terminal. It is a 100ohm resistor, on a 12V circuit - what voltage should I expect? How else can I test it? If it had failed, surely there would be no voltage?

Phoenix-Rob

posted on 29/7/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
When researching this for my ZX12 installation in my Phoenix I have a feeling that the voltage after the resistor should be approx 9v. This is an anti theft circuit, the ecu needs to see a difference between 12v supply and 9v supply via the resistor this was to prevent hot wiring a bike.

I hope the above is correct not useless nutsack but its been a while since I built mine. ( Is for sale on ebay if anyone is interested ! )

bigrich

posted on 29/7/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive heard 9v mentioned too but ive never measured the voltage myself. Think 9v might be a low guess but the voltage should be lower than main ignition voltage. Theres probably some simple maths to work it out. V=I*R or similar

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

twybrow

posted on 31/7/13 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Still no joy. I have replaced the resistor, and measured the resistance between the +ve connection at the battery and the grey wire ECU pin (with ignition on) and I am getting 102ohms, so I am happy that my 100ohm resistor is doing its thing. I am getting a voltage at the pin of 12.35V, and the battery is at 12.55V - not as big a drop as I was expecting...

I am stumped. I dont know what I can do next.... I really would have liked to find someone with the same lump in their car to try my ECU, but still no takers! I might have to take a punt on another ECU from eBay and see how that goes.

Anyone know of a garage down South that might be able to fix this sort of thing? Would any old auto-electrician be able to help, or do I need to cart it across the country to someone like Andy Bates? Right now, I am thinking some petrol and a match might be a good idea...

Nick DV

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Ty, rather than go to an auto electrician, (who will charge good money anyhow) why don't you try Hampshire Mtorcycles in Shirley as they are Kawasaki dealers, or you could try Crescent over in Portsmouth Rd. They used to be Suzuki only - and they were very good - but I believe they now carry Kawasaki bikes. Whereabouts in Southampton are you?

Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

twybrow

posted on 1/8/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick - I am based in Marchwood, but I have a trailer, and I am happy to take it somewhere that can help. I had previously found both of those motorcycle places, but I wasn't sure whether they would want to work on a car - I will ask them!
twybrow

posted on 1/8/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Hi Nick - I am based in Marchwood, but I have a trailer, and I am happy to take it somewhere that can help. I had previously found both of those motorcycle places, but I wasn't sure whether they would want to work on a car - I will ask them!

Now messaged both places to see if they can help.

chrilla

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with my engine and just couldn't figure out what was wrong until I heard on a Kawasaki forum that if you have a 2001 engine and a 2000 ecu or vice verse, it wont work because they have moved the cam position sensor, so you have to turn the cam position sprocket a few degree, if that's the problem.
Check out this link.
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/44191-difference-between-00-04-engines-engine-wont-start.html

twybrow

posted on 1/8/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrilla
I had the same problem with my engine and just couldn't figure out what was wrong until I heard on a Kawasaki forum that if you have a 2001 engine and a 2000 ecu or vice verse, it wont work because they have moved the cam position sensor, so you have to turn the cam position sprocket a few degree, if that's the problem.
Check out this link.
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/44191-difference-between-00-04-engines-engine-wont-start.html

This isn't a new build. It has been running for 18 months with no problem. The ECU was bought complete with the engine, loom etc all from the same bike.

[Edited on 1/8/13 by twybrow]

chrilla

posted on 1/8/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I see. I bought my package complete too, and the seller told me it runs perfect, but he probably mixed up the ecu or lied to me.
And you cant see it on the engine or the ecu, they look very similar and have the same pin connectors.
Just wanted to give you some ideas.
Hope you get it running soon, its a very revving and funny engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.