Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noice level inside coupé
CooperLight

posted on 15/10/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Noice level inside coupé

Hi

If I were to put a bike engine in the back of a car (a mini for instance) would the noice level be to loud to be used as my daily driver ?

...or is it possible to insulate enough so that I don't need to use ear protection every day

bike_power

posted on 15/10/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you had a bulkhead between you and the engine it would probably be OK but I wouldn't want my engine in the car with me, even for short journeys, unless I was wearing earplugs and a good helmet. It's noisey enough when it's 6 feet away and covered.
CooperLight

posted on 21/10/04 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bulkhead it is ... wouldn't there be a significant difference in noice with the exhaust exiting behind the car instead of "next to the driver"

Cheers

Jon Ison

posted on 21/10/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
your biggest prob will be induction noise, it can be as loud if not louder than the exhaust

CooperLight

posted on 21/10/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be using a duct and airbox will that help ?
RallyHarry

posted on 25/11/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I guess that depends if you take the air from the outside or not, otherwise it doesn't help, does it ?
Jasper

posted on 25/11/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
With some serious sound proofing you could bring the noise level down.

If you want it for a daily driver you'll also need to think about a reverse, as you'll get very p*ssed off parallel parking it. And you will also need to strip the interior out as much as possible to keep the weight to a minimum, so you may not end up with a very comfortable car.

I should think a BEC mini would be great fun (it has more than crossed my mind to build one) - not sure if I'd want it as my daily driver though.

It's also potentially quite an expensive conversion - one I saw for sale on Ebay the chap had spent £9k and still wasn't finished.

Think I'd want a busa or ZX12 in one for the extra torque as well.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Rorty

posted on 26/11/04 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
Middies can be very noisey, especially from the induction noise.
I've built some for track work which were bare minimum cars and were unpleasantly noisey in the driver's seat.
I've also had a few on the road and have fully enclosed the engine, albeit with removable covers. In one case, I fitted a sealed acrylic window from engine cover to roof which added to the insulation, and allowed me to run modified rear side windows for more air.
In the road cars, I lined the engine side of the bulkheads and engine covers with stick-on sound absorption/heat reflecting panels and also covered the interior side with conventional sound deadening felt and carpet.
That was quite a reasonable car for longish journies. I drove it from Yeovil to Santa Pod on a few occasions without earplugs and it was very enjoyable.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.