Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Network cabling ?
mcerd1

posted on 30/7/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Network cabling ?

can somone here give me the idots guide to network cables please

I've got all the flooring in the house up at the moment so I'm looking to run 1 or 2 ethernet cables and a coax to the upstairs rooms (so far routing the coax hasn't been too bad) overall distance is only going to be 10 to 15m

I'm thinking about running a couple of cat5e or cat6 cables to upstairs (should only need one I guess, but I don't want to do this again! )

so now the questions....

- is cat6 worth the extra £ ?
- which kind of sockets are best and are they reliable ? (I know we've had major issues at work with some of them)
- what tools will I need (cheaper the better as long as they work)
- where can I get the right stuff without buying 305m of cable ?

cheers
-Robert

-

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
You'll get everything you need from screwfix...5E should be sufficient for general networking over that run....unless you want to run something serious like HDMI over it in which case I would get 6....
stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
For terminating the Cat cable, you'll need a punchdown tool like this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Network-Ethernet-Cable-Punch-Down-Tool-IDC-Faceplate-Krone-/221081544686?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM& hash=item33797ca7ee

mcerd1

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
....unless you want to run something serious like HDMI over it in which case I would get 6....

well I was thinking about that as a possibility at some point, and the likes of screwfix only sell cat6 in 305m rolls

[Edited on 30/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Screwfix items

should give you near enough everything else you need

If you think you might want to run HDMI in the future, though, go Cat6...

Avoid the cheap cable on ebay

Slimy38

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I would say no. On my single 100 Mbit/s link, I'm transferring files no faster than they would if I was transferring from one drive to another. I think I'd have to double up on hardware before I started seeing network congestion.

Two runs would make sense, if nothing else you'll want a backup if one fails.

I got my network stuff from Maplin, for short runs they worked out decently priced. Their connectors are quite decent as well, and tend to come in packs of ten which should be ideal. I have to admit I used needle nosed pliers to make the connections, not the best way but certainly the LCB way!

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
....unless you want to run something serious like HDMI over it in which case I would get 6....

well I was thinking about that as a possibility at some point, and the likes of screwfix only sell cat6 in 305m rolls

[Edited on 30/7/2013 by mcerd1]

Amazon then. Search for... cat6 50m

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Personally, I would say no. On my single 100 Mbit/s link, I'm transferring files no faster than they would if I was transferring from one drive to another. I think I'd have to double up on hardware before I started seeing network congestion.

Two runs would make sense, if nothing else you'll want a backup if one fails.

I got my network stuff from Maplin, for short runs they worked out decently priced. Their connectors are quite decent as well, and tend to come in packs of ten which should be ideal. I have to admit I used needle nosed pliers to make the connections, not the best way but certainly the LCB way!

True - but £1.45 from ebay ain't expensive!!!

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
For reference, I ran Cat5E from my loft down the drain riser and out to every room in the house...then stuck a cheap Gig-E switch in the loft. I now have at least 2 ports in every room; 6 in the lounge....

[Edited on 30/7/13 by stevebubs]

ianm67

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with Cat6. It's a bugger to terminate properly and for your needs Cat5e will be more than adequate. You can stream 1080p with digital audio over 100mtrs of Cate5 using digital extenders no issue. Take a look at this website for some pricing on cabling, outlets, connectors etc:

www.cablemonkey.co.uk

cheers,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

britishtrident

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
To avoid punching down which can be a bit confusing & frustrating first time you do it, you could just get some 15M pre-made long patch cables you can hide any excess cable the wall.

You can test the patch cables before pull them through.

[Edited on 30/7/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jossey

posted on 30/7/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
As above use the pre made 15/20m cables

Run 2 to each room and make sure you use cat6

You can send hdmi over 2 cables from your sky box etc.

If that is a potential option run 3 cables.

I have 3 to each room and coax cable for the magic eye

Cat6 does not bend too well so be careful

Each room at mine has a sky feed over hdmi using 2 cat6 to hdmi and the coax cable for magic eye remote control only as the tv quality is poo.
And then the other cable runs a raspberry pi. Or the smart tv's

Worth the extra cables.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PNichols

posted on 30/7/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, first post but thought I would reply.
I co own a structured cabling company, Cat5e would be fine, I can supply cable and modules if needed.
Patch leads pre made would also do the job and I can make them for you whichever length or colour you require, be aware though, that these will be RJ45 connectors at each end.
The correct way to cable would be solid cable ( cat 5 e or cat 6 ) in lsoh form terminated into permanent modules, then a patch cable ( stranded ) from module to device.
Termination should be made with punch down tool, however the back of a Stanley blade to push down and sharp part to trim usually does the trick
Email Paul.nichols@iti-limited.co.uk if you need help or parts.
Oh and the screw fix and marlin may do the job but I would never ever use it ! And the patch leads are a rip off bought anywhere like that. We ship ours in from china, pre made and machine terminated and can sell at 100% profit and still undercut them by £££££'s

britishtrident

posted on 30/7/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Really essential to pay a few pennies and get a proper punchdown tool if the blade is too thick it stretches the jaw that bite through the insulation on the wires and ruins the face plate so at best get a dodgy connection. A Stanley blade or the end of a hacksaw blade is not advised.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

PNichols

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you ruin a faceplate whilst terminating you are doing something wrong regardless of punch down tool or not !
Valid point on the blade, but it is a last choice option that can work if not hand fisted.
I've been doing structured cabling for 20 years now and seen it all, trust me.

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with many of the above - screwfix, maplin etc are expensive (and I would never use except in a hurry / emergency - have a local friendly place where patch cables cost pennies...). However I was trying to offer an easy solution to someone who hadn't done it before.

Cable 5E/6 cable + faceplate + punchdown tool is easy to do if you're capable of wiring a locost

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
PS Have some experience of the higher end also - have engaged several contractors over the years to cable up offices, datacentres (big ones), etc...
PNichols

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Agree with many of the above - screwfix, maplin etc are expensive (and I would never use except in a hurry / emergency - have a local friendly place where patch cables cost pennies...). However I was trying to offer an easy solution to someone who hadn't done it before.

Cable 5E/6 cable + faceplate + punchdown tool is easy to do if you're capable of wiring a locost

Totally agree

PNichols

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
PS Have some experience of the higher end also - have engaged several contractors over the years to cable up offices, datacentres (big ones), etc...

Maybe us ? Biggest to date is 4800 Cat6a and 800 x 24 core OM3 spliced fibre optics, 200 server racks, 2 fibre farms and full automated door entry and IP camera solution.
Yet to build a locost though lol

[Edited on 30/7/13 by PNichols]

stevebubs

posted on 30/7/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PNichols
Maybe us ?

[Edited on 30/7/13 by PNichols]

Afraid not...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.