Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolt size help needed
Poorscousertommy

posted on 31/7/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt size help needed

Can anyone advise what size / thread the 'pinch' bolt is on the sierra front hub - the bolt that clamps the adaptor for the upper ball joint? I have been to two local engineering suppliers, shock horror neither could tell me!! One told me 'its not metric, and we don't stock anything else', and the other told me it was 7/16" UNF, but when trial fitted it felt loose (and he only had 100mm (ish) length in stock!!

To be fair, Liverpool is just a retail and tourism city now - no good Engineering places left here!!

If I go with 7/16" UNF x 2 1/4" (57mm), does that sound about right??

It does my head in this kit car malarkey, the smallest problems cause the biggest headaches!!

Cheers

jacko

posted on 31/7/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
12mm metric think its 1.25
Sierra's are metric bolts

[Edited on 31/7/13 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ordinary 12mm bolt

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

dave r

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
m12 1.75 i think, its isnt anything rare

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

britishtrident

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Check the pitch of the thread with thread gauge as M12 can be found in 1.75mm, 1.5mm, 1.25mm and 1mm pitch.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Some hubs are threaded at the rear to take a bolt, don't know what thread though. If this is the case drill the thread out and fit a high tensile M12 nut and bolt about 60mm long I think. Usually the wing stay fits to this bolt so make sure it's long enough.
SteveWallace

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
As above, I just drilled mine out and fitted a long enough bolt to take the wing stays as well. Actually, I had no choice as I could not get the bolts out of the donor, so had to drill them out anyway.
big-vee-twin

posted on 31/7/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget once you have fitted the mushroom you need to dill through the upright and through the mushroom and fit a security bolt.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nick205

posted on 31/7/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Don't forget once you have fitted the mushroom you need to dill through the upright and through the mushroom and fit a security bolt.

Is this an IVA requirement?

Certainly wasn't when I SVA'd my car and OEMs don't secure the Macpherson struts this way.

Not saying you're wrong BTW, just curious!

Sierra upright is normal M12 thread and as above you'll need a 70ish mm bolt to accommodate the wing stay + nylon nut.

Poorscousertommy

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the responses - it is threaded at the back. I'm annoyed that two so called Engineers merchants couldn't identify it, I'd have expected them to at least have a reasonably comprehensive set of thread gauges rather than trying a bunch of bolts!

Ho hum.. I'll drop an order in to Namrick then!

Cheers folks.

iank

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Certainly wasn't when I SVA'd my car and OEMs don't secure the Macpherson struts this way.

Sierra upright is normal M12 thread and as above you'll need a 70ish mm bolt to accommodate the wing stay + nylon nut.

Yes it came in during IVA, I think it's to stop them rotating (which is important due to the offset hole in the mushroom).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mcerd1

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
As above, I just drilled mine out and fitted a long enough bolt to take the wing stays as well. Actually, I had no choice as I could not get the bolts out of the donor, so had to drill them out anyway.

^^ a very common problem - even if you do get them out the threads are often badly corroded

a longer M12 bolt with a nylock nut should be plenty good enough
btw - ford use 10.9 bolts for these (and most other suspension and brake parts) 8.8 would probably be fine but why take the chance....

-

nick205

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
quote:

Yes it came in during IVA, I think it's to stop them rotating (which is important due to the offset hole in the mushroom).

OK

I see the logic, but if done up tight I'd be amazed if the mushroom ever rotated. The offset hole is pointless anyway IMHO, it doesn't achieve anything other than making the part more expensive to machine.

mcerd1

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I see the logic, but if done up tight I'd be amazed if the mushroom ever rotated. The offset hole is pointless anyway IMHO, it doesn't achieve anything other than making the part more expensive to machine.

well even the sierra strut had a little tag that the pinch bolt goes through to stop it turning....

in fact some mushrooms are made with a tag like the sierra one (my dax ones are like this) - that way you don't need to drill the upright

-

40inches

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace

Me too

40inches

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

well even the sierra strut had a little tag that the pinch bolt goes through to stop it turning....

in fact some mushrooms are made with a tag like the sierra one (my dax ones are like this) - that way you don't need to drill the upright

The tag is to stop it pulling out, the same reason for the lock bolt for IVA The offset mushroom is ok to fine tune the
camber angle, the adjustment on the drop link is very coarse.

mcerd1

posted on 5/8/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
the adjustment on the drop link is very coarse.
I some ways its better to shim that instead of it screwing directly into the arm

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.