Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED Headlights available very shortly
russbost

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
LED Headlights available very shortly

Definitely NOT locost, but just thought I would let you know I have ordered my first batch of LED headlamps!

They are 90mm dia units, absolutely top quality & come with adjusters all mounted, they are a bare unit intended to be fitted into an existing housing/fairing/bodywork. E marked & with correct pattern for UK dip beam, individual dip & main beam units are just 22W giving similar light output to a 55W halogen, hence ideal for a low power vehicle or anything electric where saving over 60W of constant draw is important, plus they look really cool!The main beam unit also incorporates a 4 led position light (sidelight)

Prices are still to be finalised, but looks like £145ea for the dip beam unit & £110ea for the main

I will get some pics up of the units when they arrive & will try to get some beam pattern shots of both these all the projector lights & HID H1 conversions we now do in a week or 2 when I'm less busy (ha, ha!)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
*cough* MOT *cough*

Popcorn on stand by

Mistral Motorsport

iank

posted on 1/8/13 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
*cough* MOT *cough*

Popcorn on stand by

If they have e-marks there should be no problem at all for MOT.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wylliezx9r

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
*cough* MOT *cough*

Popcorn on stand by

Why would there be a problem ? Certain Audi's have them fitted already.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

russbost

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I believe loggyboy is correct in that LED headlights like HID's have to have self levelling & headlamp wash, that said I spoke to an MoT garage this morning (a small garage who I generally find very knowledgeable!) who said "nothing in the manual about LED headlights, only HID - anyway they only have LED's a as sidelights or daytime running lights don't they" I think they are wrong, but the ministry do keep moving the goal posts!

Just discovered this note re both HID & LED headlights
"Note 4: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge or LED Headlamps there is no requirement for headlamp cleaning if the light output is below 2000 Lumens (evidence must be provided)."

2000 lumens is a massive no. I doubt any current HID's put out much above 1500, but providing I show these lights do not put out above 2000 lumens (certificate from the manufacturer is not a problem) then they do NOT have to have self levelling & headlamp wash fitted!

[Edited on 1/8/13 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have the old style yellow bulbs in my cars, I love them, everything looks so warm and mellow fine for the MOT too.

Modern lights make everything look cold like winter, LEDs are much the same the light is so harsh, sharp and bright but harsh

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
From what ive read its the lack of self leveling and washers that non OE fit HID/LED causes issues. HOWEVER arguing with myself, the wording is that effectivey 'if installed' self-levers and washers should work.

Current MOT manual does mention LEDs
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I have the old style yellow bulbs in my cars, I love them, everything looks so warm and mellow fine for the MOT too.

Modern lights make everything look cold like winter, LEDs are much the same the light is so harsh, sharp and bright but harsh

I have OE HIDs on the clio, they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Mistral Motorsport

smitht82

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

White light produced by geniune HID kits are closer to natural daylight and therefore are less tiring on the eyes whilst driving at night. LED's replicate the same light colour and therefore are safer than equivalent Halogen lights.

I work for a German Manfacturer ;-)

coyoteboy

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
LED's really struggle to replicate HID lighting, the ones that come close are very very expensive.

2000 lumen isn't that hard to achieve these days, I have a 900 lumen head torch for night biking, single LED, it's like turning on the sun.

I don't really see why whiter light would be less tiring on your eyes personally. Brighter, yes, but not whiter.

[Edited on 1/8/13 by coyoteboy]

Worzey

posted on 1/8/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have LED lights on my A7. By far the best lights I've ever had on a car. They light up the road like daylight and I don't usually have to use main beam as dipped is more than enough. It's a very natural, bright light.

Would love some on the kit but then again it doesn't get used much at night.

Caterham R400

tomgregory2000

posted on 1/8/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
So cheap

You should make them to fit defenders as the current price of almost a grand is a little expensive

snowy2

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
LED lights sound interesting..
on the subject of HID's (i have looked into this alot) there not legal in cars in this country at all..... however because of European legislation stating we must allow road legal cars from other jurisdictions to be sold in this country, so HID's are ok by the back door.
its not legal to retro fit them at all, that said lots of folks do (in this country it has always been legal to buy some items that it wouldn't be "legal" to use) so the regulations are slowly catching up with them. i know someone who fitted some HIDlights to a BMW 3 series and whinged and moaned that they were crap.....his solution was to fit ever brighter HID's when i pointed out that his headlamps weren't suitable for hid lamps and if he were to get some that were they would help he was amazed that it would make any difference.
i have no problem with folks failing the MOT if they have HID's without self levelers and washers fitted, but i hear most fail simply on beam pattern.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

loggyboy

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
i have no problem with folks failing the MOT if they have HID's without self levelers and washers fitted, but i hear most fail simply on beam pattern.

You wont fail the MoT on lack of self levelers or washers though. New wording in the current MoT alows them as SOME early cars were given type approval with HIDs, but without the washers/levelers. Therefore to ensure they dont fail the MoT, they have had to make it so they only test the washers/levelers if they are fitted.

As you say, their are some very poo chinese HID kits that arent worth the time of day, but some ive seen can be very effective, but dont bother with £20 ebay kits!

[Edited on 2-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.