Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone Interested in me making some CF interior panels for their fury?
FuryRebuild

posted on 1/8/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone Interested in me making some CF interior panels for their fury?

As part of my voyage into carbon fibre and composites in general, I'm replacing all the ally and other interior panels in my Fury with composites.

The reasons are:
1) lighter
2) sandwich panels will be much stronger
3) the riveted ally panels add little to the structure - indeed the holes and rivets create stress points. What's more, the panels can start to rattle (inless you also rivet them in and apply a bead of bathroom sealant at the same time).
4) the new panels will be bonded in - increasing the structural integrity of the car significantly.

I'll be making a full set of moulds as I go - not every panel is as flat as I originally thought - for instance the outer side panels actually are the intersection of 4 planes. Ally is great for this because it bends easily, but doesn't offer a lot in return.

Once I've done my set I'll be happy to knock them up for others, so if this is something you fancy, let me know.

I'm open about the costs and layup approach in my blog
so you can track as you go. The costs there are purely material though, not time. As time progresses, you'll get to see the panels on the car.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting,... I am mostly interested in corrosion resistance, as aluminium and steel are never good together, that and chassis stiffness,...

I will follow with interest,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

alan87

posted on 3/8/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep definitely! Am just at the point of ordering the ally having welded up every rivet hole from the previous build!!

Have you got any pics of your chassis, as I know there has been plenty of variations.

U2u if you want.

Alan

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.