Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic press strength?
sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic press strength?

I've got a set of rear bushes to do on the tintop (Why oh why do ford use the crappiest rubber for their bushes:mad and am looking at buying a hydraulic press as I'm fed up of struggling with the vice. What sort of strength would do for general bush and bearing replacement s? There are 6t 10t 12t etc. I'm on a budget due to only using it now and again so it will be a used one or an ebay cheapie.
jacko

posted on 3/8/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would say not under 10ton's we have a press at work and its 30 ton but its very big for home type garage
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 3/8/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a 20 ton one in a garage last week to do a bearing. Want one

as always with tools, buy the best you can afford.

NigeEss

posted on 3/8/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've access to a 30t one and trying to remove a Kia Sedona front wheel bearing I gave up and bought a second hand hub !

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Heavy-Duty-Hydraulic-Workshop-Garage-Shop-Floor-Standing-Press-12-Ton-Tonne-/121078127851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3& ;hash=item1c30d19ceb

Would like one of the clarke ones but just can't justify the extra expense for something that gets used occasionally.

Litemoth

posted on 3/8/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would say go for 10 ton.

I've had a few bearings that have only just 'cracked' at full capacity on my 10t one.

Litemoth

posted on 3/8/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
oops I should have said 10 tonne of course
tomprescott

posted on 3/8/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheapy 12 tonne from ebay, only used it a few times but it has worked a treat whenever I needed it and will probably pay for itself soon considering all the local garages want a fiver minimum for each time they try (not necessarily succeed!) to put something through their press....

A bird in the hand....

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
I bought a cheapy 12 tonne from ebay, only used it a few times but it has worked a treat whenever I needed it and will probably pay for itself soon considering all the local garages want a fiver minimum for each time they try (not necessarily succeed!) to put something through their press....

Is it similar to the one in my link?

coozer

posted on 3/8/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted the bushes out of my Range Rover suspension, took one arm down the local machine place where he had a 20T press.. had use the multiplier on the press and it made a loud crack and crept out with 35t!

I put the rest in the log burner and burnt them out.. (not recommended really as I set fire to the chimney in the process)

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bare

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a foolish question:
But Might it not be advantageous to spend the $$ involved in buying a decent quality Hyd press (cheap /junk tools are no bargain imo) to have a Proper Shop do the pressing work??
Plus these would warrantee their work and you would not need to house the not insubstantial press gizmo.

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
The press is only part of the problem the correct sized tools to press the bushes in and out is the main problem.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
True but I'm of the opinion that if I need to borrow or use someone elses equipment more than once then I need one of my own. The last time I needed 2 bushes pressed out and in it cost me a tenner, I have 14 to do this time so time to get my own.

Its a pretty simple bit of kit so I think the cheaper versions will do for me.

froggy

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a focus by any chance ?

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's a focus how did you guess typical ford bushes made of cheese
froggy

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about a press as the sleeves will be seized solid on all the inner pivots if its 7+ years old . Take the whole subframe out and burn the bushes out which should allow the sleeves to let go of the bolts .
I haven't failed a focus on play in the link arms for ages its normally the blade arm front bush that the bonding fails on and a press is no help for getting them in . It worked out cheaper to buy a complete new subframe from ford last time I did one .

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Its an 07 so I'm hopeful they're not too bad. I've priced up replacing everything and it's 500 plus the dreaded. New uprated bushes were 230 all in.
froggy

posted on 3/8/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Much easier with the subframe off though even if its a pain to get the exhaust off

sdh2903

posted on 3/8/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the tip I had contemplated dropping the whole lot off. Will see how I get on.
AdrianH

posted on 3/8/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I bought second hand 12 tonne tube bender, as sold by Machine mart. Never actually used it for bending tube as the dies are wrong what what I wanted, but I always thought I would keep it in case I needed a simple press.

There is space to put items between the ram and frame, and with use of a lathe could make up various diameter guides for bearings.

Just a thought in case you have one of these hanging around.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.