Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipes and fittings
gdische

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipes and fittings

I'd appreciate some advice about brake pipes and fittings for an older car.

I'm having to replace part of a brake pipe that got damaged when removing the master cylinder. The old pipe and its fittings are steel (which is probably why I had problems in undoing it in the first place). What I plan to do is cut the end off the damaged pipe, and connect a new one to bridge the gap to the master cylinder. It's going to be a bit awkward as the pipe goes through the chassis.

If the new pipe is copper/nickel (as recommended in other threads here), should I use brass or steel fittings? Does it matter if I mix them? Should I use a steel fixing on the old pipe and a brass one on the new pipe?

I'm going to need an on-car flaring tool - any recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

40inches

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
All my pipes are Kunifer, and fittings plated steel, some have been on 8 years. Not fallen off yet

NigeEss

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Steel should be fine, the problem you will have is flaring the steel pipe in situ, can be a pig.
I'v found the Sykes Pickavant hydraulic tool to be the best but not cheap.
Linky

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

britishtrident

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Plated type are fine.

This pattern of tool works exceptionally well, just do some practice flairs first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PIPE-FLARING-TOOL-3-16-ON-CAR-FLARE-BY-POWERHAND-/171073136608?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27d4c0e7e0 />

You will also need proper brake pipe joiners
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-female-joiners-for-copper-brake-pipe-fittings-x-5-/360389528574?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e8 e3cbfe

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gdische

posted on 5/8/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your very speedy replies. I thought I'd get a good response, but not that fast!

One thing I forgot to mention, the pipes are 1/4 inch, which restricts the choice of flaring tool a bit. There do seem to be some Sealey ones which work on this size, I've seen some good comment on them.

It's going to be very tight for space making the flare (I'll try to remember to put the union on the pipe before). I'll have plenty of pipe to practice on, as it seems to come in 25 foot lengths!

Geoff

britishtrident

posted on 5/8/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
1/4" what car are you dealing with ?

[/I]

gdische

posted on 5/8/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
There are some pictures here

SKY 600

The Locost bit is that I'm renewing the master cylinder and servos, not paying someone else!

Geoff

40inches

posted on 5/8/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gdische
There are some pictures here

SKY 600

The Locost bit is that I'm renewing the master cylinder and servos, not paying someone else!

Geoff

That's one cool wedding car

britishtrident

posted on 6/8/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Link to 1/4" on car tool ebay

I haven't tried the 1/4" version but I have used my 3/16" version to splice on to steel pipes in some very awkward in some very tight locations and now do all my flairing with it and have consigned my old Sykes-Pickavant bench to to the back of the shed.

Your biggest problem make be getting a proper 1/4" pipe joiner fitting, you may end up using a tee with a bleed nipple in the unwanted branch.

If the car had been metric I would have suggested using the special unions that step down to 3/16" pipe but I haven't seen those for UNF fittings.

[Edited on 6/8/13 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 6/8/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

gdische

posted on 6/8/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link to the flaring tool. I saw a video of how these work on YouTube, it looks easy enough and it all gets properly aligned.

I've ordered pipe and fittings too, with luck the pipes will be done by the time the master cylinder comes back from the reconditioners.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.