Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reversing airbox to fit under bonnet
james h

posted on 10/8/13 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Reversing airbox to fit under bonnet

I would like to put some trumpets on my carbs but I have a very shallow air filter on at the moment. The only way to do this is to replace it with the original airbox, but it will only fit if I turn it around 180 degrees.

The trouble is, the carbs aren't spaced equally making it trickier than before. Has anyone managed to turn around their airbox, and what did you have to do to make it fit?

Cheers,

James

ETA, this is how it would end up looking, the only image I could find (from renetom's archive):

Modified Yamaha airbox
Modified Yamaha airbox

[Edited on 10/8/13 by james h]

jrrsparky

posted on 10/8/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
We had no problem with the carbs spacing when turning the air box round on R1 5pw, just cut off the section at the bottom where the original air feed came in and blank off, then drill a new cold air in the front.
enginearin

posted on 10/8/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james h
I would like to put some trumpets on my carbs but I have a very shallow air filter on at the moment. The only way to do this is to replace it with the original airbox, but it will only fit if I turn it around 180 degrees.

The trouble is, the carbs aren't spaced equally making it trickier than before. Has anyone managed to turn around their airbox, and what did you have to do to make it fit?

Cheers,

James

ETA, this is how it would end up looking, the only image I could find (from renetom's archive):

Modified Yamaha airbox
Modified Yamaha airbox

You can cut the mounting face out and "plastic weld" it back together with a soldering iron / hot air tool.

See Tim Hoverd's excellent site for a fuller explanation http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/backs-to-the-wall/

I did it on my Fireplade airbox from this info

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.