Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car overheating
p2ccolo

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Car overheating

Hi there, I have zetec turbo setup and the car has recently started overheating very quickly, seeing temperatures rise upwards of 110-120 and not really coming back down, fan is running all of the time.

The header tank is bubbling up and the oil catch can is spitting oil out, I had it into a garage the other day and the guy said it was just the thermostat had stuck and he had replaced it, however after being out for a quick spin the problem has returned..

Any ideas?

wylliezx9r

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it could be the headgasket to me. Have you checked the colour of the oil ? Is there any sign of oil in your header tank ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

big_wasa

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like headgasket to me with the header tank bubbling. But how have you got the coolant system plumbed ?
JAMSTER

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
is it a new build do you have the right water pump
p2ccolo

posted on 22/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not a new build, will have to have a closer inspection tonight about the oil in water. Colour of the oil was good last I checked.

I had thought head gasket but the guy I took it to seemed to think it was the thermostat (but then he thought he had fixed it..)

olimarler

posted on 22/8/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I second the head gasket!

It can take a bit of time for the oil to come through in my experience not alwasy straight away not always straight away but you should have been out for a drive.

Might be worth checking cylinder pressures too?

Oli

britishtrident

posted on 22/8/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the head gasket, but there could be other factors involved in the failure for example if you have fitted one of the problematic after market water rails.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Waterpump vanes damaged/rusted/worn giving insuffient flow maybe?

As above, headgasket would be prime culprit - a compression test on the head and gas check on the header tank should point to if its something more obscure.

Mistral Motorsport

MP3C

posted on 22/8/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it will help but a while ago I had the problem with the car overheating about 10 minutes into a journey. Problem was the pipe that was the return to the header tank was blocked not allowing coolant not to flow round the system. Might be worth checking there isn't any blocks anywhere or that there is no air in the system as this will cause the same problem.

Matt

olimarler

posted on 22/8/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
I don't know if it will help but a while ago I had the problem with the car overheating about 10 minutes into a journey. Problem was the pipe that was the return to the header tank was blocked not allowing coolant not to flow round the system. Might be worth checking there isn't any blocks anywhere or that there is no air in the system as this will cause the same problem.

Matt

would there be oil spitting out with an air blockage in the system?

Any smoke from the exhaust?

you could also try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matco-AC560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester-Head-Cylinder-Engine-Gas-Diesel-/310726730555?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item 4858c1a33b

This was very useful for diagnosing problems with my 3sgte engine!

Also could be rings due to the oil spitting out. Did the zetec start life as a turbo engine?

Oli

perksy

posted on 22/8/13 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Like others above i'd be suspecting the headgasket.

Needs the coolant checking with the leak tester.
(Compression test won't hurt either)

What type of headgasket is fitted at the moment ? (cometic 'layered' or a 'standard' type)

Dusty

posted on 22/8/13 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Compression test may not locate a small gasket leak but a leakdown test should. + 1 for testing for exhaust gas in the cooling system.
britishtrident

posted on 23/8/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
It would have to be an enormous blow in the head gasket to show in a compression test, and to show in a leak down test it would need be fairly significant.
But doing either or both before stripping the engine is a good idea because of the oil spitting from the breather.

Head gasket failure unless on an engine that is particularly known for gasket failure such as the old Imp or Stag engines is usually caused by lack of coolant flow
If the engine has an aftermarket water rail fitted it is important the thermostat is modded by drilling to allow by-pass flow and there should always be a by-pass hose connecting the cylinder head out let and the inlet side of the water pump.

[/I]

Krismc

posted on 24/8/13 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
..matey mine used to get rather warm quick. I had gew issues a) waterpump was turning backwards. b) had no engine air flow... lots in but none out. so I added side vents on exhaust side. c) my header tank lid was weaker than water rail one so as pressure built up the cap leaked air and therefore boiled sooner. I upgraded too a 13 cap.

luckly I noticed engine temp and switched off early. but looks like you may have done your gasket, very unfortunate mate.

my engine spits oil from beather too, I just top up every 1000miles...its only ml.

Kris

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

britishtrident

posted on 24/8/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
..matey mine used to get rather warm quick. I had gew issues a) waterpump was turning backwards. b) had no engine air flow... lots in but none out. so I added side vents on exhaust side. c) my header tank lid was weaker than water rail one so as pressure built up the cap leaked air and therefore boiled sooner. I upgraded too a 13 cap.

luckly I noticed engine temp and switched off early. but looks like you may have done your gasket, very unfortunate mate.

my engine spits oil from beather too, I just top up every 1000miles...its only ml.

Kris

Having two pressure caps is always a potential problem, caps contain two valves, the obvious pressure relief valve and a vacuum breaker valve this gives the potential for airlocking after air is drawn back into the system on cooling.

[/I]

p2ccolo

posted on 18/9/13 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
So I had the car in a few times to a local guy, who at first said it was the thermostat, but nothing was fixed, then reckons he's done the head gasket, but since I picked it back up the other day the car is now running worse then ever, the engine is cutting out at idle, still smoking and overheating. this is about the 3rd time Ive had it in to him and each time the issues are never fixed, and hes always very vague about what hes actually done and quite hard to talk to.

I've lost faith in the local guy i've used, so can anyone recommend someone/somewhere I can take the car to get it fixed, that really knows there stuff, preferably with zetec turbo experience, near Bucks/ Herts borders?

p2ccolo

posted on 18/9/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Also, the guy I had it into reckoned that if it where him he would just stick a new engine in it.. If I need a new engine is it worth keeping the turbo setup, is this likely to cause problems?

I'm really not sure what to do with the car right now as I am not mechanically knowledgable and am running out of money to be spending on it. I just want it working and back on the road without it costing me an arm an leg and having to worry about constant problems. :-(

[Edited on 18/9/13 by p2ccolo]

elizaharry

posted on 19/12/13 at 04:37 AM Reply With Quote
Probably a busted radiator or bad cap, letting coolant spray out and hit the hot engine which causes steam.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.