Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garages
SteveMX5

posted on 24/8/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Garages

Well I've finally gone and done it, managed to buy my own house at the ripe old age of 32

To avoid paying rent and having to drive 30mins to the lock up I'm going to put a garage in the back garden. As much as I like timber I think I'm going to go for either one of the coated steel or plastic ones due to them needing pretty much zero maintenance.

Has anyone got one or had one of these? Any recommendations or any to avoid?

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/8/13 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I toyed with a few options, and in the end got one brick built. Not a huge difference in costs.
Mine is 30m2, about 8m long and 3 1/2m wide (or thereabouts) Just on the max size for no planning and no building regs. Be aware if within 1m (or is it 2) of a boundary it has to be mainly non-flammable. So wood is a no no.
Got a groundworker to dig the base and footings, cost me about £500 including waste removal. Concrete was delivered, about £1000 but I had decent footings (450mm wide, 500 deep on virgin chalk. It won't move!!)
3000 odd bricks (£1200) bricky/laborourer 6 days (£1200) managed to get used windows/doors etc.
Roof was timber and boarded (by me, joists took a day, boarded and glassed in a day, got the labourer to help so another £140) and fibreglassed. About £1000. Probably £250 for sand/cement.

And that is a good sized garage that should be maintenance free for 40 years!!

Yes, the groundwork/base were a bit more, but it has decent footings and a decent floor. So probably a 25% more cost than doing a base for a prefab type garage.
As to the actual structure, I may have got a concrete one for the same money, but nowhere near as good.

coozer

posted on 25/8/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Concrete sectional one? Thats what I'm planning on for when (if ever) i move.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chris-g

posted on 25/8/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have heard that metal sheds get a lot of condensation forming on the inside during the winter. I assume this will be the case with a metal garage unless insulation is bonded to the walls on the inside.

How about looking for a second hand concrete garage on ebay and gumtree if funds are tight.

[Edited on 25/8/13 by chris-g]

Matt159888

posted on 25/8/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys we have a concrete and metal garage a Compton sectional one(compton a big name can be seen on internet). The plus is they are cheap and quick to put up but i can honestly say pay for a better one!!. The condensation is terrible!!. Everything ends up soaking in the winter when the sun is on the roof. I have to cover the tiger in a cover and in garage all my tools rusted up. Save your money and go brick or even timber!
Ian Jones

posted on 25/8/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
here is my effort for winter protection.

total locost. it has cost me around £200 in total so far, with around another £50 more to spend to finish it off

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=184472

Smoking Frog

posted on 25/8/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Condensation was a big problem with all the garages I've had in the past. My present one was constructed from wood several years ago, does not have this problem at all. Any moisture is absorbed by the wood, no more rusty tools, chassis etc. I would not go back to a brick one (although it may put me off, if it burnt down). Stick with a timber one, give up smoking and be careful with the welder. Cost approx £1500.
tango man

posted on 25/8/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
i cant have a garage on my front it has to be behind me house and i aint got a rear access n not enough room between me n next door so i went for a luton box £300 deliverd , 12ft long me mk just fits in ,bone dry and room for storage on overcab painted it green so it blends in best thing ive ever bought
SteveMX5

posted on 25/8/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the feedback guys. Sounds like I best get the woodworking gear out again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.