Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric power steering column for 4x4 ?
CompoSimmonite

posted on 29/8/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Electric power steering column for 4x4 ?

I've had a stroke that has left me weak in both legs and right arm. In fact my driving licence has been suspended until I undertake a fitness to drive assessment - which I have no doubts about passing. Still PIA loosing independence as I can't walk more than a very short distances either.
Driving my everyday cars (Skoda Fabia diesel & Smart Fortwo) isn't a problem neither is my Peugeot Expert van or Austin Healey Sprite and Mahindra MM540.
The Mahindra however is a bit of a maul even for an able bodied person as no power steering so I'm considering a PAS conversion. Rather than fit a power box (nothing 100% suitable so any would need a lot of modifications) I'm wondering about a electric power column but people on a Mahindra forum reckon it wouldn't be suitable as designed for a lightweight car with steering rack and not a heavy vehicle with steering box.
Are electric power columns suitable for boxes as well as racks ? Can they handle the weight of a 4x4 or would it burn out / manage the motor etc ? Is there a van or big MPV with electric column that might be a viable part donor.

What is the opinion of people here ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/8/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted range rover p38 power steering unit to my series landy all built from parts of Ebay powered by a shogun pump driven from the fan belt, shogun fluid bottle, p38 front steering shaft. Only required a 10mm plate welded to the outside of the chassis next to the front wheel which could easily just be bolt depending on chassis frame design, yours is probably a channel section so really easy, Landy is a thin wall box so needs quite a bit of strengthing.

Couple of hoses and your away, to say it's light is a real understatement so I filled a large steering damper to give it some feel. Total conversion was about £130. I'd say it was a damn sight easier than trying to get an electric one fitted and the pumps need some heavy duty cables.

Also watch out as most electric steering systems are speed dependant and alter the assistance depending on how fast you are going so will need a signal and controller.

Mine looks very like this picture only differing in some minor details like mines better done

Only point I'd make is that PSU is bloody massive! like a square foot in size and weighs about the same as a small house

This below is the site that explained it all -

How to linky

[Edited on 29/8/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.