Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Adjusting protech shocks - best setting for Indy R?
Sloan85

posted on 30/8/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Adjusting protech shocks - best setting for Indy R?

Currently the adjuster knobs are turned all the way anticlockwise. I believe turning clockwise will stiffen them up but any ideas how many clicks would be a good starting point for an Indy R BEC.

Cheers

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 30/8/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
have they all been valved in pairs? if not they will not adjust equally on the adjuster. procomp may be worth a phone call to help with setup as i believe the shocks can vary massively if not a matched pair!

Sloan85

posted on 30/8/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Bought from MK as part of the kit so now sure about that one!

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 30/8/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately id say the chances are they are not matched pairs
there has been loads of recent threads on here regarding cars going for setup to find shocks are miles out! jeffw is one and he runs a 300+bhp competition car! think hes had to replace them

Camber Dave

posted on 30/8/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've set up many kit cars and use and recommend Protech dampers

I normally set dampers to start at 1/3 of the working range plus 10% on the rear. So for Protech that would be 3 front and 4 Rear.

From here increase/reduce the front dampers to get the turn in and steering response to your liking.
On the rear adjust the dampers up or down to have the car ride the bumps to your liking.

For track use start as for road use and increase them equally to sharpen up the response.

Camber Dave

posted on 30/8/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've set up many kit cars and use and recommend Protech dampers

I normally set dampers to start at 1/3 of the working range plus 10% on the rear. So for Protech that would be 3 front and 4 Rear.

From here increase/reduce the front dampers to get the turn in and steering response to your liking.
On the rear adjust the dampers up or down to have the car ride the bumps to your liking.

For track use start as for road use and increase them equally to sharpen up the response.

JacksAvon

posted on 30/8/13 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
my 2 bobs worth...............

Book a day with procomp for a set up.

Never heard a bad word about them.

Davg

posted on 30/8/13 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Start point as asked for go fo 6 clicks on each and take it from there. Once you are happy enough yep as said consider prof set up.
Cheers D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

joni

posted on 30/8/13 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
shocks

I asked procomp would they valve my shocks and they said they would not do them if I had not bought them off them had a good chat with them and seamed friendly enough it was a second hand set I bought of this site so you might have to buy a set of them
jeffw

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
They don't have the facility to valve the shocks themselves but they can tell you if they are a matching set and (if you take the car to them) what the operating range of the shocks are. Mine turned out to to have an operating range of 3 clicks on the front (out of 14!). Also be aware that Procomp shocks have 3 ranges (high, medium and low) with 14 clicks each.

procomp

posted on 5/9/13 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just a few corrections on some of the above.

The dampers we provide are items built by protech to our specification. IE not what they supply as as STD.
What that enables us to do is re valve and use different weights of oils. That then enables us to supply customers with dampers to suit their individual application.
However when it comes to working with STD dampers already supplied from other sources it is not cost effective for the customer to re valve and machine the parts required.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.