Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: push / lock connector on a brake hose?
probablyleon

posted on 30/8/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
push / lock connector on a brake hose?

Spent hours today removing the diff and inboard brakes on a '62 Lotus Elite. All fairly straightforward (for a Lotus) but had to resort to cutting through the brake hose to finally get the assembly off the car. Not a problem in itself as I want to replace the old hose anyway, but in the next couple of weeks I'll be refitting it all and the only bit I'm really dreading is refitting the brake hose (I wonder if Chapman ever had to do this kind of thing himself). The whole job would be fairly straightforward if I could connect both ends first and then have some aircraft type connector in the middle that would just push / lock together. Has anyone had any experience of something like this or might be able to suggest a coupling that would be reliable enough for a brake line?
Camber Dave

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Leon

Try http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/quickdisconnects/earls.html

I have seen them on Race Cars but remember they receive a very high level of maintenance and cleanliness.

I would only use one on a road car if the car had split circuit brakes so the front remains safe if the rear lost fluid.

Dave

Peteff

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Which brake hose, I assume you mean the rear flexy, does it screw directly into the caliper ? The only connector I would use on a brake line would be a brake union.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

probablyleon

posted on 1/9/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, the rear flexi. What with the diff, inboard callipers, handbrake brackets and prop all snugly fitted in the fibreglass mouldings it's going to be an absolute pig to get to. I think I'm going to have to get a slightly longer hose made up and bite the bullet. Thanks for the replies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.