Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pedal fitment - Indy
Poorscousertommy

posted on 31/8/13 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pedal fitment - Indy

Just about to fit the brake pedal on my Indy.. Before I do, I just want to confirm a few things as the research I have done has confused me a little...

First of all, I have seen 2 configurations of what I can only describe as a 'return stop', either a bolt in the floor under the pedal, or a u shaped bracket around the pedal itself attached to the bulkhead. Am I right in thinking they serve exactly the same purpose, as if so the bolt through floor method will be the way forward!

If I do go this route, how is this fastened, have people welded? As I have no welding gear, will a drill through with locking nuts configuration suffice?

Secondly, do I just drill the hole parallel to the m/c - search on the forum suggests ratio will be on the low side and I should drill the hole as low as possible. How low can I get away with without compromising reliability of the m/c?

I'm going to read more before I touch anything, but guidance would be appreciated - cheers folks!

sebastiaan

posted on 31/8/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt through the floor to act as a pedal stop should be OK, at least if there's a little tab on the pedal that it can rest against. I think in mine, the bolt was actually through the tab and rested on the floor. In any case, make sure the M/C fully returns, otherwise you will have problems with the brakes binding.

As for the hole in the pedal to fit the pushrod that goes to the M/C: using the standard Sierra M/C will make the pedal ratio too low. Solution is to either fit a smaller (19mm, iirc) diameter M/C, or tilt the seirra one back into its original position. Have a look here: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=111925 to see what I did. Can't believe it is already 4 years ago that I made that mod....

Sloan85

posted on 31/8/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
With the Indy R pedals, the brake pedal should be different to the clutch and throttle (at least mine were). Theres a hole to fix a bolt that stops against the floor. Are your pedals not the same?

Here are a few photos of my pedals....

With regards to the ratio, as low as possible will be best. I made a packer similar to sebastiaan which brought the sierra master cylinder reserviorback to level, allowing the push rod to be fitted lower down. Photos of that below. You will have to do a bit of trial and error to see how low you can mount the push rod without it fouling but you should be able to mount it lower than dead straight with the MC.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Poorscousertommy

posted on 31/8/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Gentlemen, you are both superstars - I hadn't thought about putting a bolt thru the tab, although I knew it was there to locate on a stop but figured the stop was fixed to the floor.

The angle plate to change the position of the m/c is something I wouldn't have thought of at all!

Thanks for the help, more garage fun for me tomorrow

Cheers

Sloan85

posted on 31/8/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I cut mine from a 100x50x25mm block of aluminium. I think the angle was about 12 degrees. If you don't put an angled plate in then you will need to rotate the master cylinder or one of the brake pipes will clash with the chassis rail.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.