Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question about BMW 530D!
twybrow

posted on 31/8/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Question about BMW 530D!

I have just been looking at a 530D tourer at a garage near me. The car has just 45,000 miles on the clock, which is low considering it is vintage 2005. The car looks pretty tidy (apart from a few marks and signs of wear - normal for a 7 year old car). However, when we went to take it for a test drive, it initially had a bit of a lumpy idle, and there was quite a strong smell coming from the exhaust.

Before we took the car out, the dealer said he was very happy for us to take it out, because it had not been driven for a while, and up until then it had only done short journeys/been moved around the forecourt. He also said that he had not done any work to the car, but he would be given it a full service this week, so we could come back and view it again after that.

So Locostbuilders - share your wisdom with me....! Would it be something to worry about/run away from, or have I just not been driving diesels for so long now that I have forgotten that they are not as smooth/smell free as the silky smooth 6-cylinder petrol BMW lump we have in our 3-series...?

Ninehigh

posted on 31/8/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dpf kicked in straight away?

twybrow

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
That was another suggestion from the dealer - I wasn't sure if they only kicked in on a run rather than just after start up...
RickRick

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2001 530D auto it's a little bit noisey at idle but smooth as silk to drive at 200k as is my brothers manual at 270k
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
A friend had an older 530d. It was always smooth as silk and never smelled any more than any other diesel.
gaz_gaz

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
That was another suggestion from the dealer - I wasn't sure if they only kicked in on a run rather than just after start up...

There are a few conditions that have too be met for the dpf to regen.

Over 10 litres of diesel in the tank.
Coolant temp over 79 or something degrees.
Average speed of 40mph over the last x amount of miles.

Seems unlikely it regend if it had just been moved around a forecourt ,

Look into accessing the hidden menu to check the running coolant temps as chances are it will need both stats changed, such a common problem and badly effects mpg
Also watch out for cracked exhaust manifolds, very common on early e60 and e61s

All said and done, I love mine, wouldn't be without it.

twybrow

posted on 31/8/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

There are a few conditions that have too be met for the dpf to regen.

Over 10 litres of diesel in the tank.
Coolant temp over 79 or something degrees.
Average speed of 40mph over the last x amount of miles.

Seems unlikely it regend if it had just been moved around a forecourt ,

Look into accessing the hidden menu to check the running coolant temps as chances are it will need both stats changed, such a common problem and badly effects mpg
Also watch out for cracked exhaust manifolds, very common on early e60 and e61s

All said and done, I love mine, wouldn't be without it.

The range left was showing as 14 miles, so I don't think it could possibly have satisfied those DPF conditions....

I am wondering if an injector is failing, as it seems lumpy idle (up to 1500rpm) is a symptom of a failing injector.... But on such a low mileage car, it seems odd. Could it just be that it hadn't been run for a while, and hadn't had a proper run for even longer?

The golden question, would you go back and take a second look?

This is the car in question FYI.

ashg

posted on 31/8/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
takes +500deg to regen a dpf (unless its a pug etc with regen fluid) 530d's are silky smooth, although all diesels will be a little bit rougher on warm up. on the move you shouldn't even be able to tell its an oil burner.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

gaz_gaz

posted on 31/8/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Did it smell of fumes in the cabin?
Mine stunk in the cabin and was lumpy when the manifold was cracked.

If the dealer is willing I have the full bmw software and cable to plug it in and check all the systems.
Can also confirm if the DPF is regenerating properly.

Looks a lovely car. Exactly the same as mine but mines grey

froggy

posted on 31/8/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Get an injector leakdown test done , most likely excessive leakback on one injector which you only really notice at idle .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

twybrow

posted on 31/8/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
Did it smell of fumes in the cabin?
Mine stunk in the cabin and was lumpy when the manifold was cracked.

If the dealer is willing I have the full bmw software and cable to plug it in and check all the systems.
Can also confirm if the DPF is regenerating properly.

Looks a lovely car. Exactly the same as mine but mines grey [/quote

Thanks for the offer Gaz - I will bear that in mind. I want to see how it is after it has been serviced. I checked the oil as part of looking around it, and the level was spot on, but it was quite black, so a full service can't harm...

My biggest worry is that I buy it, and after the 3 month warranty is up, one (or more) of the injectors fails - a friend had this, and the cost to put it right was the best part of £750!

It did feel silky smooth on the drive, and the smell was much better (but not gone) by the time we got back (15 minutes of driving). I think there is a certain smell to a diesel car exhaust, but my mrs doesn't think it smelled normal...

nick205

posted on 31/8/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it needs a good service including fuel filter, fresh tank of fuel and really good blast down the motorway. The mileage is, as you say, low for the yer and probably means a short trip life so far, which diesels don't thrive on.

I'd try and get the dealer to do the service and let you retest. Maybe offer a deposit as encouragement.

Well worth a pun IMHO.

twybrow

posted on 31/8/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Sounds like it needs a good service including fuel filter, fresh tank of fuel and really good blast down the motorway. The mileage is, as you say, low for the yer and probably means a short trip life so far, which diesels don't thrive on.

I'd try and get the dealer to do the service and let you retest. Maybe offer a deposit as encouragement.

Well worth a pun IMHO.

You are spot on! The last owner was living in Scotland, but then moved to central London, so my suspicion is the same as yours, that is has seen its share of short/slow journeys. I think I will give the chap a call later this week for another test drive...

[Edited on 1/9/13 by twybrow]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.