Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which helmet
dave107

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
which helmet

Which helmet for an open car with no windscreen, bike or car helmet I know they are tested to different standards and my thinking is a car helmet, but a car helmet is usually used in a closed cockpit were as a bike helmet isn't, so would the visor on a bike be to a higher standard than a car helmet, looking really for a helmet to stop all the stones and other rubbish flying around when behind traffic.

Dave 107

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Will you be tracking the car? If so, get an SA or appropriate BSA sticker on it. Otherwise, get the one that fits your noggin.
If you have glasses, consider this: I cannot fit my glasses in my SA racing helmet, but had another bike helmet for the road, so I didn't need to put contacts in every time out.

adithorp

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Short answer... The one that fits you best.

Visors on car helmets will be able to cope with stones; There's plenty of open car formula/series... and plenty of flying stones from the gravel traps.

Car and bike helmets aren't just designed for differnt impacts. The shape is different to cope with different head/body positions. Some people have commented on the amount of lift they get from a bike helmet, trying to pull it off thier heads. I was also warned about the higher rear neck edge on bike helmets (so they're comfortable leaning forward and looking up) meaning there was les neck protection.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Fire resistance for car helmets is different from bike ones - you're unlikely to get trapped in a fire when riding a bike...

jeffw

posted on 3/9/13 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Car helmets have much smaller aperture as they sit in the same position all the time, unlike bike riders who change their position frequently. One of the issues with a bike helmet in a car is driving into the sun can difficult as you can't tilt you head down far enough due to the size of the visor aperture.

bi22le

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with above. I have no screen and a bike helmet. I get lift at high speed but its not uncomfortable, just tilt your head down (if the red mist is on then I deffinatly dont care). The movement of the head is good for when I go for early morning hoones on the roads as I can see all I want to at junctions.

Regarding fitment, something ask a bike shop or rider to advise you and then go the next size up!!

I did not like the look of car helmets and got a chin wind guard with my bike hat, also I cant gaurentee I will be in a car forever. . . . .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

iank

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Car helmets have much smaller aperture as they sit in the same position all the time, unlike bike riders who change their position frequently. One of the issues with a bike helmet in a car is driving into the sun can difficult as you can't tilt you head down far enough due to the size of the visor aperture.

Agreed, head position is completely different between bike and car (both aero and visor shape) though a lot of people don't care.

On David's point I believe they are also tested differently for impact (though it may make no difference to actual performance). Bikes one big bang, then lots of small bumps, in cars it's multiple medium impacts to cover your head smacking against a roll cage while in a harness.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.