Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension Geometry and Fab

posted on 11/9/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension Geometry and Fab

Hi all,
Am in the stage of designing the suspension for my scratch built chassis, and despite having read most of Stainforth's book I always found it easier to understand by doing it myself.
so here's a Solidworks sketch of my proposed geometry. Width, and chassis mounts are fairly fixed. Wheels i'm undecided on yet, probably 7.5J front, 9J rear.

(pardon the mess, not sure how to hide sketch dimensions and never used blocks yet)

Wishbones will be rose joint chassis side, and spherical bearing on the upright side. (version 1 was maxi joint lower, drag link upper with PU bushes)
Speaking of uprights, this geometry is based around the Wilwood ProSpindles I have, but really leaning towards the not being ideal. As to get a lower scrub the hub face has to be at the very back of the hub pretty much. Would i be better off selling these and using a pair of bolt on hub assemblies (which i already have, off an Octavia)? Can probably have them CNC machined ally or fab'd steel.
What else am i unsure of... ah roll centres, it's a mid engine car am i right to think the rear roll height should be a few inches higher than the front? It will have IRS too, so just a matter of making the wishbones closer to parallel or slightly down to the upright?
I know i'll be fabricating the rear uprights around bolt-on hub assemblies. Unfortunately all my stuff is based around VW crap unlike the predominant 80s ford stuff mostly favoured on here

Look forward to any feedback, as this is really my first venture into car design and fabrication, and it's a hell of a learning curve

Cheers
-Henk

hughpinder

posted on 11/9/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
You could reduce the scrub radius by getting wheels with more offset - ET35/38/40 wheels are pretty common and would reduce the scrub to 21/16/11 mm.
I have also gone with a rear roll height above the front - I can't remember by how much though, but I dont think it was as much as a few inches (about 40mm I think, I'll repost if it was much different) - will look it up tonight.
Regards
Hugh

ettore bugatti

posted on 11/9/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lotus Elise has roll centre heights of 30/75mm f/r

This is a quick tool to analyse suspension:
http://www.vsusp.com/

TVR Cerbera (and beyond) and Lotus Elise S2 have nice uprights with bolt-on hubs, But both have KPI of around 10deg and a offset (ET) of around 30-35mm.
So not really different to the WILWOOD spindles, if Im not mistaken.

Im not sure a fabricated upright woudl be that much better (geometry wise) and/ or cheaper.

posted on 11/9/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
finding it harder to find tasteful and wide-ish wheels in higher offset
After all i am only 21 so a little picky about wheels, childish as it sounds

Appreciate the note on higher roll centre, doesn't seem to hard to do then

will have a proper go at the suspension link there, it's too late to be converting my geometry setup into inches!
Doesn't really do much that solidworks and excel couldn't do mind.
Will have a look into them
As for the Wilwood spindles, they're a real nice piece of kit and all, but looking at a minimum of 100mm offset from the centreline, i think on the hubs i made to suit it was an extra 50/60mm ontop of that.
http://www.wilwood.com/Images/Steering/Steering_Drawings-Large/spindle_830-9807-dwg-lg.jpg

In my geometry drawing the offset from the rear bearing was really quite small, so even then i'd have a huge chunk of spindle sticking out the front of the wheel (see the dimension '99' middle left)
bolt-on hubs have an offset around 50mm from the mounting face, and i'm sure properly designed uprights could be made to give a good scrub.
Is about 10deg of KPI about what i should aim for then? I think the prospindles are 11, so close already

ettore bugatti

posted on 11/9/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a bit of dish (and stretch)

Here is a thread on the Ferrari F355 suspension, food for thought (or confusion):
http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60154

There's a preference tab in Vsusp, where you can go to the proper metrics.

snapper

posted on 12/9/13 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
You can get 3 piece wheels made with any offset and many designs but I would not compramise all the work just to fit a set of non optimal wheels
Makes no sense

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

phelpsa

posted on 13/9/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry too much about scrub on a lightweight car, it's nice to have the steering feedback. Also remember that your pneumatic scrub if running reasonably soft, high profile tyres could be a lot less than your mechanical scrub. I wouldn't be concerned with double the scrub radius you have there, in fact most cars running cortina uprights have in excess of 100mm scrub radius.

I'd be looking to get rid of as much KPI as you can as it causes the wheel to 'gain' positive camber with steer, revert to castor to gain self centering and steering effort.

With roll centre heights the more important factor is how they move compared to each other rather than their static height. You want to make sure they're both moving the in same direction a comparable amount through your expected roll angle (3-4 degrees?) or you could end up with some nasty mid corner balance changes. Try and make sure they don't move left or right too much, if anything moving towards the outside wheel a little is preferable. Don't about having the front or rear higher or lower (it has some basis on production road cars with tuning ride frequencies but you probably wont notice it), just make sure they're both reasonably low compared to your CoG (no more than say 20%) and you get a good amount of camber compensation in roll.

I'd really recommend plugging it into vsusp and at least seeing how the roll centres move.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 17/9/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, I would love to be able to run 17x8j & 10j Azev wheels, but I really don't think it'd be very sensible.
not a fan of stretched tyres though, get out

The Ferrari thread is mindblowing, so much to comprehend, or at least try.
Will get Vsusp filled in soon, this evening if i remember.

I see where you're coming from Snapper, but that doesn't sound like a very locost-y approach either! Don't have that kind of money to spend I'm afraid.
But I'll probably be looking at Compomotive MO's or Team Dynamics which seem to be fairly popular and pretty sensible shaped. (I do have a big soft spot for ET0 16x8 XXR wheels though!)

Great info Phelpsa, thanks. Have got scrub down to around 30mm with 5degrees of KPI (would be with custom uprights naturally). Will have a good look at the behavior of the roll centres when i get the Vsusp analysis sorted out

posted on 28/9/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
http://tinyurl.com/q8ngzef

here's as far as i've got with vsusp, front is done off the cad pretty much, rear just been a play about so far.
what is the meaning of roll centre to roll centre location graph?
and what should it look like?

ettore bugatti

posted on 30/9/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just some personal observations (feel free to disagree):

-Roll centre height looks a bit high to me, I would aim for something between 35-60mm.
-camber change; at 4 degrees roll, your outer wheel has almost 0 degree camber.
Which is quite impressive, I wouldn't be worried if I had 1.5 positive camber in that case.
-roll centre moves quite a lot in x-direction during motion.
-your virtual swing arm length is quite short.
-wouldn't a 17" tyre with the same width and circumfence be a cheaper, more common alternative?

This should be pretty close what the original Lotus Elan had:
http://tinyurl.com/n5e9qnk

posted on 7/10/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
just bringing the bottom wishbone mounts down 10mm puts the RC at 42mm.
That's a good thing, so great
Okay, what can i do about that then?
I'd like to run 17s for that reason, but they look a bit big on the car really

posted on 28/11/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
any comments on my current CAD model?

rdodger

posted on 28/11/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Only that recently I learned that spherical bearings should be pinned vertically not horizontally.

If pinned horizontally they wear prematurely.

Just be sure that there will be enough suspension travel before they bind. Longer wishbone may be necessary.

posted on 28/11/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I did wonder about that. what makes them wear differently then? Surely you still get the exact same amount of surface area on the bearing?
Yeah that's a bit of a worry on the spherical bearings, the upright will have to be modified a bit. I'd rather use off the shelf sealed ball joints but not finding much that's suitable. none are really suited to the double-wishbone's inherent awkward shock-on-the-LCA thing - i.e every bump trying to pull the ball joint apart.
May look into a pull-rod arrangement instead perhaps.

Can't do longer wishbones due to the chassis already being made. Other option is running low offset wheels, which may not be an issue as I can't decide on what i want anyway!

rdodger

posted on 28/11/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly I am no suspension engineer. I got that from Andy at AB Performance.

I would imagine it's down to surface area. There is a larger part of the bearing used if pinned vertically.

Have a look at the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/abperformanceltd?fref=ts

Also Elite Motorsport

https://www.facebook.com/EliteMotorsportEngineering/photos_stream

Anything that looks as good as those two surely has to work!

phelpsa

posted on 29/11/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Firstly I am no suspension engineer. I got that from Andy at AB Performance.

I would imagine it's down to surface area. There is a larger part of the bearing used if pinned vertically.

Have a look at the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/abperformanceltd?fref=ts

Also Elite Motorsport

https://www.facebook.com/EliteMotorsportEngineering/photos_stream

Anything that looks as good as those two surely has to work!

The problem isn't whether they are horizontally or vertically pinned, but whether they are in the same vector as the load (ie in line with the wishbone member). If they are not, then you have two issues. One is that the thread is in shear/bending, and the other that you have an axial load on the bearing in which your contact area is tiny (the perimeter of the edge of the bearing surface). Neither of these will be an issue if you spec a large enough rod end, but you can use smaller ones if you use them more efficiently.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 29/11/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
well with the rod ends perpendicular to the direction of the wishbone that shouldn't be a problem i hope?

Lowers are M14x1.5 i think, and the uppers are M12x1.5

Would you say what I'm proposing to use is suitable then?

I think i'll modify the uprights, raise the wishbone mounting points on the frame and then bolt down into the upright (as it should be really)

posted on 10/12/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
still struggling to design my uprights, not happy having the car suspended by the spherical bearing as that's much worse than having a rod end 'the wrong way around'.
Surprised no one is too bothered by that, seen it doe a fair bit now although with ball joints usually.

So still don't have a proper idea of how the front uprights will look. but got a wishbone design i'm fairly content with.
bought a pair of transit ball joints for £13 which look ideal.

so, thoughts?

ball joint goes in from below and held i with an o-right i believe. little plastic cap on top to keep the sh1t and water out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.