Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iva worries, tie- wrap
axle

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Iva worries, tie- wrap

Hi all

I am waiting to hear for my Iva test. I hear different experience regarding tie wraps , I have used it to secure the cables with insulation in the engine bay, and then securing the wiring from the stay wing , also the cover for the steering arms etc. looking at the CKC it looked like the arrangement they have used.

So is tie wrap a problem for IVA?

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

adithorp

posted on 14/9/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Tie-wraps/zip-ties are fine for IVA.

Only issue can be if the catch and cut end are in an area where radii and sharp edges are checked. Just be sure to have the buckle bit turned out of the way on the wishbones.

Don't use the stick on, self adhesive cable tie bases though as they aren't considered secure enough. They need a pop-rivet through them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 14/9/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Modern tin-tops are generally stuffed full of tie wraps which is a good sign they can be accepted at IVA, but as said any bases must be secure (rivet, riv-nut or nut and bolt) as the self adhesive bases don't stay stuck down very long.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Sloan85

posted on 14/9/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Not a problem for cables.

For the steering arm covers, ball joint covers etc. my IVA examiner explained that if the cable ties are cut the covers shouldn't fall off. They shouldn't be fully secured by only cable ties. Reason being should the car go for work at a garage, or the next owner of the car does some work on it, if the cable ties are cut and the covers fall off, there's a good chance they won't be put back on.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

axle

posted on 14/9/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
self adhesive cable ties

Thank u all for your input.
I have used self adhesive base mount cable ties for holding the the cable tie in place. However to hold them secure I have used tiger seal. it does this mean the should be riveted !

Cheers

[Edited on 14/9/13 by axle]

Regards Axle

britishtrident

posted on 14/9/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tops never use ordinary cable ties to directly secure the wiring, where a ties is used it is always on a base to ensure the wiring stands clear cannot rub directly against the chassis.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 14/9/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly failed my SVA due to tie-wraps - or their base, anyway. Tie-wraps are perfectly acceptable, but the bases need to be fixed securely; you can't rely on the adhesive backing on its own (as said above).

In my case, most of the tie-wrap bases in my car were pop-riveted to the chassis, but I had fixed the rear wiring harness to the inside of the rear panel using just their adhesive pads (couldn't use pop-rivets there!). The tester wasn't happy about that, but gave me a few minutes to fix the wiring to the chassis tubes using tie-wraps.

I have to say that he was right - within a year or two the adhesive tape had failed and the wiring would have been flapping about, This was despite me cleaning the area underneath as thoroughly as I could manage.

axle

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thank you all, I am going to have to this in the way you all suggested not only for Iva , but also for being reliable. A big thanks for David above as he mentined within the couple of years all the sticky stuff had fallen off.

Cheers again Axle

Regards Axle

doobrychat

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I use rubber lined pclips for my wiring rivited to the chassis.. .. much tidier than cable ties and not one word mentioned at my IVA
AdrianH

posted on 15/9/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used stick on tie bases on the inside of the rear panel for wiring and passed, IVA. I did get told they were not good enough but I said they use stickies for numberplate’s now, they had a few tugs and the bases held and are still in place going on for 4 years.

Engine compartment and tunnel etc are all riveted P clips

Adrian

[Edited on 15-9-13 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

axle

posted on 18/9/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thank u

Thank u all for your response, I am glad I did bring this matter up, it is sorted now . My IVA application is posted and waiting to hear for the date. Please wish me luck and keep fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Axle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.