Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any K Series Experts?
lsdweb

posted on 25/9/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Any K Series Experts?

Hi All

I'm in the process of trying to build a 1400 K Series for a sprint / hillclimb car and need some advice! 1400cc is the class limit so I need to stick to that.

I have 4 K series engines (how the hell did that happen I keep asking myself!)

1 standard 1.8 (118BHP) from an Elise

2 VVC engines - a 145 (needing a bit of head gasket) and a 160.

1 1400 Caterham engine (7k miles from a crashed Caterham) - I'm led to believe this may have been the Supersport with different cams but not sure if I can tell from just the markings. Euro 2?? - distributor on the end of the crank.

I have throttle bodies and manifold (with twin injector setup) and an Emerald ECU.

So I guess my question is which engine or bits do you guys think I should use?! I realise this is very open ended but just looking for initial opinions! I've only picked up the Caterham motor today so haven't had a chance to look at it and don't know. for instance, whether one of the other heads would fit.

Ta

Wyn

britishtrident

posted on 25/9/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
All (recent ie 95 on ) K16 heads are the same as they come from the factory.

VVC is a pain in the backside but the VVC head is a much better basis to start with, ISTR Piper do a kit to convert a VVC to a fixed timing cam.

Dave Andrews web sites have lots of info on valves, cams and ports

[Edited on 25/9/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Gary 7

posted on 25/9/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I would go with the caterham 1400 with the throttle bodies and emerald. The vvc head wont go on 1400 as the piston bore is to narrow for the vvc valve size, the valves will hit the liner tops unless the liners are notched out to clear.
Gary 7

posted on 25/9/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would go with the caterham 1400 with the throttle bodies and emerald. The vvc head wont go on 1400 as the piston bore is to narrow for the vvc valve size, the valves will hit the liner tops unless the liners are notched out to clear.
lsdweb

posted on 25/9/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I've had an email chat with Dave Andrews and now that I have the Caterham K I have a bit more to go on.

W

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.