Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shrinking a pipe end
jacko

posted on 27/9/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Shrinking a pipe end

A mate of mine asked me if i could shrink the end of a piece of brass pipe to fit in his cornet and to his mouth piece
what would i need to do this tool wise
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 27/9/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the diameter but a Locost way would be to find a local hydraulic hose company (Pirtek?) and see if their smallest fitting crimplng/swaging machine would do it, probably need 2 tries to help eliminate the die marks.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Phil.J

posted on 27/9/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'd turn a small reducer out of a piece of brass bar and solder it on. If done carefully it will be virtually undetectable.
owelly

posted on 27/9/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
It needs to be perfectly round so would need to be pressed between dies or rolled. If he's wanting to use a trumpet mouthpiece in his cornet then you can buy an adaptor.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 27/9/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it he would be better off getting the pipe the small end size and stretching the other end
Thanks for your comments/ idea's
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.