Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommendations for a phone to replace my ipad please
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Recommendations for a phone to replace my ipad please

Well I’m sure there’ll be folk who said I told you so but I’m totally fed up with my ipad 2 3G

Could and should have been a great thing but so many functions are awkward, badly thought out or it just plain can’t do I’ve simply had enough. Funnily enough I use it all the time but it gets so blasted frustrating I just want to just snap it in two AAAAhhhhhh!!!

Really amazed I haven’t used it as a frizzby…

Decided to get a touch screen phone instead, it won’t be an iphone

Anyone recommend me something good? Decent sound, decent camera, large HD screen, can actually speak to any computer without having to upload software, USB and SD compatible sure there must be one out there

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
iPhone does all of that except sd. If you find iOS clunky you will hate android and windows 8 IMO
MikeRJ

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Get a Windows 8 phone, the Nokia Lumia 920 or 925 are amongst the best camera phones out (until the 41 Megapixel/big lens Lumia 1020 is launched).

I have recently switched to the Lumia 925 from a long succession of Android phones and I absolutely love this operating system*. Clean, simple, very slick to use and support for file transfer/synchronisation etc. is built in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.

My only real gripe with Windows phones is the lack of notification support, i.e. flashing LED if you have an unread message or email, which I found very useful on Android, but apart from that it's great. App support is still not quite as good as IOS/Android, but far from bad and getting better all the time.

* But absolutely hate the Windows 8 interface on a desktop/laptop PC.

[Edited on 7/10/13 by MikeRJ]

balidey

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help, but this is a great idea for an app

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I know someone that would download it and try it out.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

ianm67

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well I’m sure there’ll be folk who said I told you so but I’m totally fed up with my ipad 2 3G

Could and should have been a great thing but so many functions are awkward, badly thought out or it just plain can’t do I’ve simply had enough. Funnily enough I use it all the time but it gets so blasted frustrating I just want to just snap it in two AAAAhhhhhh!!!

Decided to get a touch screen phone instead, it won’t be an iphone

Anyone recommend me something good? Decent sound, decent camera, large HD screen, can actually speak to any computer without having to upload software, USB and SD compatible sure there must be one out there

Thanks

Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.........

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

AndyW

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I use a windows 8 phone, nokia luina 920

Does everything I need include talk to my car via Bluetooth obd.

But I like windows 8 as I use it on a tablet for work so I am used to it, and get on with it.

it is a very personal thing so no doubt there will be ios and android supporters all singing the praises for their "brand"

There is no right or wrong, just personal taste, I would suggest a trip to a phone shop and ask to be shown each operating system and base your decision on what you get on with.

Good luck!!

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
If yo dont want an Iphone (which I completely understand) the only real choices are the HTC one or Galaxy S4 IMO.

Mistral Motorsport

benchmark51

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
phone choice

I have had a galaxy S4 for a couple of months now and it is brilliant, as was the S2 I had for 2 years before that.
I dont do contracts, I buy new online and use giffgaff and it works very well.

ceebmoj

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
What do you actually want to do? Why is the iPad frustrating? If you can answer this you will have more joy with the next device.

I have devices from all the major players on my desk my prefrence is android because there is more freedom and you don't need itunes but in all honesty there is not that mutch difrence. If you go windows phone check that the apps you need exsist.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
What do you actually want to do? Why is the iPad frustrating? If you can answer this you will have more joy with the next device.

I have devices from all the major players on my desk my prefrence is android because there is more freedom and you don't need itunes but in all honesty there is not that mutch difrence. If you go windows phone check that the apps you need exsist.

I mainly use the pad for watching movies, GPS for the car, has all my music on it for my Bluetooth car stereo, taking photos (camera is lame), playing games

Need a phone, need to be able to upload photos without internet or extra software, need to be able to transfer any file to it for storage, camera needs to be very good especially in low light. Has to have good sound in stereo, speakers on the front not the back would be nice. Needs to be memory expandable using some sort of SD storage. Needs to be able to upload apps other than iTunes ones. Needs a stylus that's accurate, ipad is awful like wearing welding gloves! Good battery life or a battery that can be swapped out for a charged one.

Well that's my main points, not that I'm fussy...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scuzzle

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like you need a Galaxy S3 or S4, The Windows Lumia's are nice enough as well but the apps are a bit thin on the ground yet it's going to take a year or two for their apps to reach the same level as Android or IOS.
twybrow

posted on 7/10/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Windows Phone! My Nokia Lumia 8209 has been the best phone I have ever had. It is fast, reliable and easy to use. Yes, the App options are not as extensive as iPhone/Android apps, but there are more and more each day.

Go and have a play in a phone shop and see which system works for you...

Smoking Frog

posted on 7/10/13 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Galaxy Mega is one I fancy at the moment.
nick205

posted on 7/10/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
HTC + Android is my preference, but then I haven't used Windows 8 yet. Google/Play/Drive/Maps/...etc. and their all pervasive behaviour are no better than Apple/iTunes/App Store IMHO. If one annoys you the other will too.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of helpful advice, is a bit of a minefield

Thinking of the galaxy S4 or S5 going to have a look a lunch time in Asda

Thanks

Wonder how much a ipad2 is worth in perfect condition, less than a year old 3G model 16gb?

[Edited on 7/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

scudderfish

posted on 7/10/13 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote

Matt159888

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Phone

I had an i phone for 2 years and apple do your head in. Wife has an 5 and i just couldnt buy into them anymore. Aplle charge you and mess you around with itunes and everything charged through them. I tried an experia z but wasnt keen now have a HTC one and couldnt recommend it enough. Camera great the sound is the best of any phone and simply to use. And no more will you be an I Sheep baaaaaaa lol!
nick205

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wonder how much a ipad2 is worth in perfect condition, less than a year old 3G model 16gb?

[Edited on 7/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

I'll open the bidding @ £75 (just think, no eBay hassle or fees! )

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt159888
I had an i phone for 2 years and apple do your head in. Wife has an 5 and i just couldnt buy into them anymore. Aplle charge you and mess you around with itunes and everything charged through them. I tried an experia z but wasnt keen now have a HTC one and couldnt recommend it enough. Camera great the sound is the best of any phone and simply to use. And no more will you be an I Sheep baaaaaaa lol!

Do like the HTC especially the two front speakers but their very expensive sadly

stevebubs

posted on 7/10/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
the new Nexus phone is due imminently....but if the camera is a biggie for you, take a look at some of the Lumias...
JoelP

posted on 7/10/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm very happy with my galaxy s3, the only thing I could fault it on is that the camera could be better. Ideally I want to have enough resolution to zoom in and see things I couldn't see when I took the picture, but you can't. Apart from that, it's awesome.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ceebmoj

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj

I mainly use the pad for watching movies, GPS for the car, has all my music on it for my Bluetooth car stereo, taking photos (camera is lame), playing games

Need a phone, need to be able to upload photos without internet or extra software, need to be able to transfer any file to it for storage, camera needs to be very good especially in low light. Has to have good sound in stereo, speakers on the front not the back would be nice. Needs to be memory expandable using some sort of SD storage. Needs to be able to upload apps other than iTunes ones. Needs a stylus that's accurate, ipad is awful like wearing welding gloves! Good battery life or a battery that can be swapped out for a charged one.

Well that's my main points, not that I'm fussy...

It would apear that you want everything. That's not a bad thing but you will need to accept that the device will be a copromise.

Movies, the HTC one and Samsung Galaxy 4 both have exelent screans.
GPS, google maps are beter than iOS
Camera in low light, nokia then htc one
Games, not mutch in it but ios and android have more than apps than win phone
Sterio speakers htc one
Expandable memory samsung galaxy 4, HTC one can not expand memory.
Stylus, samsung galixy note.
Swapabale batery, samsung, HTC one can't swap batery

To upload photos you will need internet whatever the device

As others have said the new nexus device is not far off but i doubt it will have a stylus or expandable storage. Looks like the samsung note or a nokia wp8 if you realy want low light photography. Have a goodplay in theshops and see if you realy want theas features

PS my persnonal phone is a HTC one, but it was that or the SG4

[Edited on 7/10/13 by ceebmoj]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.