Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: QED K-Series to Type 9 bellhousing pics/details?
brumster

posted on 12/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
QED K-Series to Type 9 bellhousing pics/details?

Quick question - anyone here have a car with a QED K-Series to type 9 bellhousing?

I'm after details or pictures that show the angle of the engine with respect to the gearbox. So assuming the gearbox is flat on it's mounts, what kind of angle is the engine at. A picture might suffice but ideally some kind of specific measurement that I could relate to angle of inclination would be great - height difference between two bellhousing bolts on the engine, or engine mount heights on either side of the engine, or even just an angular measurement across the head. But, like I said, even a picture at this stage would be useful.

Need to plan if it will fit in my chassis. Yes, I've asked QED, who've been helpful in offering to take the bellhousing back if it doesn't fit, so ultimately I can just suck-it-and-see, but figured someone on here might be able to help up-front

Cheers,
Dan

scimjim

posted on 12/10/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Where are you? I have a RWD K series on the floor at the moment (Glos area) and access to another fitted to a car.

Should say that my Bellhousings are Caterham - never seen a QED item, is it much different?

[Edited on 12/10/13 by scimjim]

brumster

posted on 12/10/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Not far from NEC in Birmingham...
scimjim

posted on 12/10/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
15 degrees give or take a gnats

brumster

posted on 12/10/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok, thanks, but I really need to verify a QED bellhousing unless anyone can confirm 100% that they are identical?
scimjim

posted on 12/10/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
The two upper bellhousing studs that you can see in that picture, are at 21 degrees if that helps?

brumster

posted on 12/10/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, thanks. Spent today stripping the donor so I'll check out where that sits tomorrow
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/10/13 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have an uninstalled one but I dont know whether its a caterham or qed I'll check and let you know

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

brumster

posted on 15/10/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Spoken to QED today who confirmed that their bellhousing is to the same pattern/orientation as the Caterham one, so it sounds like my answer is found.

My Fisher-derived bellhousing has the engine canted over to about 30 degrees. From the response above we've got about 21 degrees, which I have 'simulated' in the car by packing mine up under one of the engine mounts (ok, the gearbox doesn't sit level, but I'm interested in engine/chassis interference) and 21 degrees will be no problem.

So I'm on the lookout for a Caterham/QED bellhousing, or saving up for a new one at least!

Thankyou to those who contributed... much appreciated.

[Edited on 15/10/13 by brumster]

scimjim

posted on 15/10/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm - the rocker covers are at 15 degrees when the two bellhousing studs on the back are at 21 degrees.
brumster

posted on 15/10/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, yes, that's fine. I mis-quoted but I was measuring against the right number, the 18 degrees. I measured on the flat of the cylinder head edge where the rocker cover mates. I got it over to 22 degrees without issue, so 18 degrees here will be fine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.