Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dilemma!!!
stevio73

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dilemma!!!

This is a difficult one.

I've just been offered a 1640 cross flow as removed with weber carb, alternator, starter, etc and a four speed box for the right price. I know the engine has less than 4k miles on it since reborn and rebuild, also has lumpy cam and lightend flywheel. Down side is the four speed has a duff second cog.

Now, do I abandon the ZZR lump I'm currently in process of fitting to my build in favour of the cross flow?

Other question having seen the prices of type 9 gear bags on fleabay, has anyone gone with a mt75 as they appear a lot cheaper?

I've heard the ZZR run once, but still a long way from being plumbed in. Coupled with prospect of having a head full of wasps if I went any distance being a buzzy engine?

Would anyone be interested in a ZZR1100? Damn, I just got the prop adaptor in post this morning.... I'm undecided either way....

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

bi22le

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Your undeceided to go lightweight, high revving BEC or boat anchor carbed CEC?!?

I not trying to put you off of either but with such a chalk and cheese decision to make it amazes me your templted.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

steve m

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow, if not sell it to me

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jossey

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I like the motorcycle engine noise so
I know I would choose 12,000 Rpm's

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/10/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
You, my friend, need a therapist.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 25/10/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide to plug a Type 9 to the engine and dump the 4 speed, give me a shout as I have one for sale and the prop.
teegray19

posted on 25/10/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I may take the engine off you if your getting rid? Is it good/ how much?
stevio73

posted on 25/10/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Therapist? Defo!!

Type 9 and prop.... How much?

ZZR1100 motor with carbs and all bits ie wiring, coils, etc. dunno what it's worth.... If it bought a type 9 and prop then yeah!
As for how good it is.... Total unknown. Was bought as a job lot. Have had it run and it sounds okay, dunno about gearbox though never had it connected to anything.

I know I'm losing the dream of BEC but the prospect of fragility, buzzy headedness, and short squirts. I just want the car to a running state first. Then when I build up funds I'll spend on the busa lump I always wanted to have in the first place but couldn't afford.

Pm me for further details on ZZR
And I'm defo interested in the type 9. Just a money thing.....

David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
In your situation, if I fancied a CEC instead of a BEC, then I wouldn't start with a 1970's motor. Far better to go for something (a) easily available and relatively cheap, and (b) capable of far more power than the X-flow could ever manage (without being fragile). The only advantage that the X-flow has is that it's relatively small and easy to maintain (and sounds really nice). A decent Zetec will have the same power out of the box as a reasonably tuned X-flow.

I have a X-flow, and I really enjoy driving it. However, if it ever goes wrong then it will be replaced with something like a Zetec.

stevio73

posted on 25/10/13 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know it's old, but it's the right price. My focus at the moment is just getting the car together.

The guy I'm getting the xflow off is basically doing just what you suggest and fitting a zetec, but he's not been fortunate. With strut mods and rack carryings on. It an old consul Capri so mucho headache. I've finally worn him down for the old lump.

I'm under no illusion, the xflow is probably just a stop gap, until something else comes along....

teegray19

posted on 25/10/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I can collect the ZED and free funds for the box and prop... Need a box of spares to get me over the winter.

U2U sent cheers.

Hellfire

posted on 26/10/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Improved power/weight ratio, blistering performance, six speed sequential shift, ease of install, plus you've already started. Why are you even considering a CEC? Stick with bike engine, you won't regret it.

Phil

sdh2903

posted on 26/10/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I see quite a few people mentioning that Becs are for short stints?? Why does everyone jump to this conclusion? this along with "you cant drive them around town" were the 2 things that made me worry about fitting a bike lump. Providing its setup right this is not true.

My car 'only' has an older carbed R1 lump and is a doddle to drive around town, its comfortable as a seven will get and have done a few long stints in it, mainly with a v loud exhaust, now its got a quieter one its even better! Engine's been perfect since install with no engine issues whatsoever. I do like the old crossflow engines but you will just not get the same giggle factor with it as you would when you get past 10k rpm with the bike lump.

Stick with the bike lump and flog on the crossflow, you know it makes sense

stevio73

posted on 26/10/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
This is the big dilemma!! I know that the Zed would be loads of fun, but I'm into the unknown. My reverse solution isn't the best and I have concerns about the whole thing. I'd have preferred to buy the whole bike and strip it after a damn good thrashing to make sure gearbox etc was okay. What I've actually done is buy someone else's unfinished project, save a load of bits and sell the rest. So the zed engine is a unknown really, despite having got it to run and it sound pretty much cool beans.

I guess I'm just way out of my comfort zone and eager to get the car on the road without mess. The cross flow has all the ancillaries ready to just plug and play. (Which would be good if I had seats, come to mention it, if I even had a floor!!)

stevio73

posted on 28/10/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know I've messed a few folk around, sorry guys. I'm really normally a fairly decisive person. As to the question of screamer or anvil..... Well just been playing with exhaust manifold on the Zed. So it looks like its staying.

Gonna mothball the X-flow and see what happens. Guess it won't eat anything,

Again apologies to Antony who was going to look at the zed. And also to the nice chap with the type 9 I was looking to buy.

stevio73

posted on 28/10/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know I've messed a few folk around, sorry guys. I'm really normally a fairly decisive person. As to the question of screamer or anvil..... Well just been playing with exhaust manifold on the Zed. So it looks like its staying.

Gonna mothball the X-flow and see what happens. Guess it won't eat anything,

Again apologies to Antony who was going to look at the zed. And also to the nice chap with the type 9 I was looking to buy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.