Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thoughts on evolution rage saws?
blakep82

posted on 26/10/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
thoughts on evolution rage saws?

Thinking of getting one for cutting steel tubes and stuff, as I quite want have a go at making a gravity racer kart.
Also thinking of a tube notcher, but anyway...

The evolution rage saws, any experience? They say they can cut metals, wood plastic, but they kind of strike me more as a "can cut wood, but not a problem if theres bits of metal in it"

I've seen a compound mitre version for 70 quid in various places, a green and black one, this one in fact
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/saws/multipurpose_saws/Evolution-210mm-Multipurpose-Compound-Mitre-Saw-11227748?ecamp=SEAPLA11738452&ef_id= UVVfewAAAFZoOnLB:20131026205420:s

Whats the catch? Not very good? Blades don't last long cutting steel and are expensive? Seems too good to be true, especially when chop saws are about 200 quid?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daniel mason

posted on 26/10/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
mine blew up in about 4 hours. but was an ex demo so had no warrenty etc. it looked brand new when i got it!

minitici

posted on 26/10/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Rage saw but never use it.
Cuts steel OK but a bit noisy and lots of sharp, hot bit of metal fly everywhere.
The clamps are not very strong and I never feel safe using it.
Also takes up a fair amount of space in the workshop.

The blades last a reasonable time before going dull - you know when they wear out.
The laser marker line went out of focus after the hot swarf melted the plastic lens in front of the laser.

I much prefer cutting steel with a thin metal cutting disc in my 4.5" grinder.
Dead easy to cut to a scribed line and you can cut sheet metal too.

[Edited on 26/10/13 by minitici]

mark chandler

posted on 26/10/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's cheap, screwfix are flogging for near £150!

That aside I picked up a power hacksaw on eBay this week, decent size and £75 collected which will last me years and should be able to cut washers if required.

Have a google for homemade power hacksaws using wiper motors, with a little thought you could make something pretty good from scrap for pennies, just a thought.

In fact I may even make something like this to sit behind my vice, just fold it up when not in use for cutting small stuff

Power hacksaw

[Edited on 26/10/13 by mark chandler]

blakep82

posted on 26/10/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so the evolution saw is out then! Sounds like its more suited to wood and plastic with the odd bit of metal embedded in it.
Angle grider is how I've always done things, usually not very accurately, and I figure I'd be happy spending a few quid to increase accuracy, and keep time down
I found this though
http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tools/power_tool/angle_grinders_and_accessories/angle_grinder_accessories_/194545-stand_for_single_hand_angle_grinde.h tm?refKey=o_3Q6BP7G

This sort of thing any good? Cheap and wobbly? Ideally find one for my 9" grinder though

Power hacksaw looks interesting, would be a bit difficult for angles though maybe?

[Edited on 26/10/13 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 26/10/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
You just turn the vice for Angles just have to make sure you can still get a full stroke of the blade without the frame fouling.

If you only need a few angles then just drill the bed to suit, my large one has a swivelling vice with graduations.

It will not save you time as they are quite slow as you only cut in one direction but can be very accurate, quiet and blades last a long time.

[Edited on 26/10/13 by mark chandler]

trextr7monkey

posted on 26/10/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
We have a Rage saw it was £99 at Screwfix a while back still going strong but it just rips throught steel as already described. We also have a 14" chopsaw with an abrasive disc and despite the sparks is much more user friendly. Decent little angle grinder is the way to go

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

loggyboy

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye out for the 7.99 lidl angle grinder stand.

Mistral Motorsport

Matt159888

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Rage

Hi mate we have one at work that we have had for 2 years ish and has never been a problem. It gets a good hammering and has been faultless. It cuts through metal very easy and the only thing it is negative is bloody noisy but a great tool. I would 100% recommend one we were very skeptical about its ability to cut steel from one blade and wood but it does perfect. A great tool at a great price for me!.
robinj66

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of info & ideas on here - do a search for "evolution".
nick205

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Quite pleased with my Rage saw, cuts wood very well and steel (25mm box) pretty well with a little care. I've built garden decking, re-roofed the shed, bmx ramps, steel go kart chassis, steel welding trolley etc. Blade is still going strong.

Cutting steel is noisey and as above the hot chips go everywhere. Easily contained with a bit of old carpet laid over the top though.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/10/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
love my rage saw, cuts steel and ALU sheet like it's butter though it does leave a slightly rough edge.

Irony

posted on 27/10/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Got a rage, 210mm compound mitre saw. It needs setting up properly and the laser can't be trusted but its pretty awesome for the money. The sdtandard blade cuts wood and steel. I cut some 1inch bar quite easily the other day. I also have a diamond blade which I fitted to it for cutting tiles. Tiled the kitchen and cut 5 tiles at a time. Worked brilliantly.

Screwfix prices vary all the time. Got mine for less than £80

blakep82

posted on 28/10/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting!
First few replies were fairly negative about them (expected given the experiences) then loads of positive ones.
I'll keep looking for a stand for the 9" grinder I think. Unless the price ends up the same maybe.

Thanks for the info though!

splitrivet

posted on 2/11/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
They are good but I always feel I'm taking my life in my hands when I use mine on steel. Much prefer my chop saw.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.