Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R carb coolant connections
blakep82

posted on 3/11/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R carb coolant connections

I know most people say don't connect these for use on car engines, or in cars, however, doing a bit of work to the coolant plumbing system, and wondered what its actually for? to warm the carbs or to keep them cool?

i'm getting a new manifold made by fastdan, and part of the engines original manifold there was a coolant outlet, which i was going to blank off. theres another one at the front of the engine i was also going to blank, but considering opening them both up to help bleed air out the head and into the header tank and get a bit of extra flow around the head.

wondering if i should just plumb these coolant connections up, as the new pipes will go right under the carbs anyway, i sort of might as well. i've ordered all the parts required now anyway (only a few quid off ebay) so its only a question of whether it'll make the engine run worse.
if it'll benefit running, i'll do it, if it won't affect it, i'll do it, if its likely to make things worse, i won't

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Wadders

posted on 3/11/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
It was originally intended to stop the carbs icing up in cold weather, a few people binned their bikes and blamed frozen carbs so Kawi
Added the plumbing. Complete waste of time in a car tbh, just something else that might leak. No benefit, but it won't run worse if you do
Plumb them in.

Al

puma931

posted on 3/11/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
IMO blank them all, and don't bother with the vacuume outlets if you don't need them. One item I would add is some brackets to help hold the carbs onto the manifold, as my slip off a bit so now use some cable ties between the carbs and rocker cover.

[Edited on 3/11/13 by puma931]

jacko

posted on 3/11/13 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puma931
IMO blank them all, and don't bother with the vacuumed outlets if you don't need them. One item I would add is some brackets to help hold the carbs onto the manifold, as my slip off a bit so now use some cable tyes between the carbs and rocker cover.

Which pipe are you calling the vacuum pipe ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 3/11/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
IMO blank them all, and don't bother with the vacuume outlets if you don't need them. One item I would add is some brackets to help hold the carbs onto the manifold, as my slip off a bit so now use some cable ties between the carbs and rocker cover.

The small brass outlets on each branch of the inlet manifold. Not sure if they are fitted to all the manifolds.

jacko

posted on 3/11/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

The small brass outlets on each branch of the inlet manifold. Not sure if they are fitted to all the manifolds.

Haha got you i thought you meant the breather pipe that you need a small filter on

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 3/11/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers! That decides that then.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

puma931

posted on 4/11/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here is mine. Note the cable ties that help keep the carbs in place

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.