Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone bent their own exhaust pipe before?
jon200

posted on 16/11/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone bent their own exhaust pipe before?

Hi all,

I meet to put a 15 degree bend in some 2" stainless pipe for my exhaust but haven't got a bender. Has anyone got any locost solutions? I want to keep the full size so no kinks etc.

Jon

madteg

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could make a lobster back bend by cutting nearly through pipe in several places and welding the cuts up. Then polish bend or just wrap it.
ashg

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a bend and weld it in.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Smoking Frog

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I did do this but not too pride of the results as it left kinks in the tube. Use weld-in bends if you can.
jon200

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's a funny angle though to buy bends. How much would slitting the pipe affect flow. It will be mig'd too so will melt through slightly I'd think too affecting flow.
Scuzzle

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
When I had to make up my front pipe I bought a box of assorted steel bends for £35, took out 2 or 3 to make my pipe and sold it back on Ebay and got my £35 back. Buying a single bend to weld in should be around the £15 mark.

[Edited on 16/11/13 by Scuzzle]

jon200

posted on 16/11/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've already bought the straight pipe would filling the pipe with sand help to bend it if I heated it up with some oxy/acetylene? I've found 2.25" pipe ine the right angles but not 2"
Smoking Frog

posted on 16/11/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I filled mine with sand and used a pipe bender ("Strong Arm" I think) unfortunately the former was not an exact fit so required shimming. I also needed about 15 degree bend. Hopefully you'll have better luck with oxy/acetylene.
chrism

posted on 17/11/13 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
If you do try the sand technique you do need to make sure that the pipe is well packed with sand and that the ends are sealed to stop it coming out otherwise if the sand is free to move the pipe will just deform the same as using a bender.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

T66

posted on 17/11/13 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Will be easier to cut a pre bent pipe at the point the angle looks right for you, and weld on a straight piece. Buy a piece already bent, then try and get an idea of the angle required, then hand cut the pipe leaving yourself some margin for error. try it up and see where you are, If you have left the margin for error in, and its still not right then carefully cut some more off, and try it up. Once your happy it will fit, tack the straight piece back on and try it up.

http://www.ospreyexhaustcomponents.co.uk/index.php/exhaust-bends/2-tube-bends/c_27.html

[Edited on 17/11/13 by T66]

posted on 18/11/13 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Definiely got to be easier buying pre-made bends in my opinion.
But if you do the slit tube method (done it before myself) use as may small slits as you can (be bothered with) and weld it on low heat should prevent going through.

I'm doing one, 2.5" and I got 5 90 degree stainless bends for £38 from China, they're great. Just using the TIG to fuse most of the joints so no melt through

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.