Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto alternator wiring help please
Mikef

posted on 8/12/13 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto alternator wiring help please

Hi All.

Just swapping engines and bits around. I have a Pinto engine that I am going to fit a Wosp alternator. Whilst I am fine with wiring diagrams I am not an auto electrician.

I have 2 heavy wires brown,and a light wire. The later I have no issue with and know which terminal it goes to. The 2 heavy wires are both the same colour , and looking at a westfield wiring diagram , one goes to the battery and the other the ign switch. The question I have is;

Of the two heavy connections on the alternator, does it mater which brown one goes to which terminal please ? Ia m assuming it does not matter as they are both the same colour. If some one could help here I would be grateful.

Thanks

britishtrident

posted on 8/12/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Both brown wires can go straight to the battery +, or the live (battery +) side of the starter motor solenoid.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mikef

posted on 8/12/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick reply.

I dont think I have explained it very well. I need to know if it matters which brown wire goes on a specific alternator connection.

Mike

snapper

posted on 8/12/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/snapperpaul/E07EE8E7-9291-4D38-90DF-27297C5DFA42-3561-000002CD4039215A_zpseb843db5.jpg

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Dusty

posted on 8/12/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are talking about the old style Lucas ACR alternators that ford fitted on sierras, they have a plug with two large spade terminals and a smaller single spade terminal, all arranged physically parallel to each other. The smaller terminal is for the excitatory wire from one side of the ignition light on the dash.
The two large spade terminals are electrically common/linked within the alternator. You can use either one of them or both and they usually are wired to the positive pole of the battery, either direct or if convenient via the starter motor. Supply to the ignition switch is probably best taken from the battery pos pole either direct or via a positive busbar. Adding a power relay (to supply ignition on stuff like brake lights, indicators, heater motor, wiper, etc), activated by position two of the ignition switch saves on the load going through the ign switch.
A re-read of your post suggests that your two large brown wires are both battery positive. They can share the B+ post on the alternator or the one that goes currently to the ignition switch can have its other end removed from the alternator and moved to the pos post of the battery.

[Edited on 8/12/13 by Dusty]

Mikef

posted on 8/12/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks All.

As always , thats been a great help.

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.