Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: turbo over boost on diesel
Lightning

posted on 19/12/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
turbo over boost on diesel

My VW Amarok is going back to dealer tomorrow as it keeps going into safe mode. The RAC fault finder says its reading a turbo over boost.
What would cause it????
It has two turbos, one big and one small

Steve

prawnabie

posted on 19/12/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Boost pressure solenoid or sensor failure
dave_424

posted on 19/12/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sticking wastegate, vac line to actuator melted/perished or if a VNT turbo then the vanes could be jammed up with soot and carbon buildup.
Darek32

posted on 20/12/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cars these days are terrible quality i think.
It is a new car nothing like that supposed to happen.

mcerd1

posted on 20/12/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
it could be any of the things listed above

quote:
Originally posted by Darek32
Cars these days are terrible quality i think.
It is a new car nothing like that supposed to happen.

^^ they've just got to complex for their own good in an attempt to meet the new emission rules without giving up the power

-

Not Anumber

posted on 20/12/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I ceased being a fan of VW several years ago for this reason. One pal thought he'd really arrived when he bought a newGolf but had so much trouble with it from the outset leaving him stranded several times that at 18 months old he swapped it against a much older Japanese 4x4 which gave him trouble free motoring for 5 years. Another mate's Toureg needed part of the induction system replaced just after it went out of warranty. Even my wife's Polo needed the windsreen wiper mechanism and the coil pack replaced at 4 years old and the ignition cuts out at least once a week which no one has a clue how to fix. Against that my twelve year old Merc does nearly 50 to the gallon on a run, seats 7 people, has done over 200,000 miles, never goes wrong and can be fixed by me with 2nd hand parts off Ebay if it ever does. Nope, if i had the money sitting there to spend on a new car i'd pay a bit off the mortgage, put a bit in the charity box and laugh all the way to the pub.

adithorp

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Pos' presure sensor but I'd guess at soot built up in the variable turbo. Getting loads of it with turbo diesels that have more power than is regularly used. Dealers will try and fit you a new turbo. A turbo cleaner treatment and kick it's arse repeatedly can often sort it. Might need to keep clearing the fault codes between kicks.

I often advise customers to take the opertunity to boot the throttle whenever the opertunity arrises. They need to get full boost + red-lined to clear the soot built up by tootling around. Even long m/way trips are just tootling for a 150+ bhp diesel.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

D Beddows

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Been there done that mine was the turbo actuator in the end with the Passat - the experience pretty much put me off modern diesels forever though!
nick205

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Pos' presure sensor but I'd guess at soot built up in the variable turbo. Getting loads of it with turbo diesels that have more power than is regularly used. Dealers will try and fit you a new turbo. A turbo cleaner treatment and kick it's arse repeatedly can often sort it. Might need to keep clearing the fault codes between kicks.

I often advise customers to take the opertunity to boot the throttle whenever the opertunity arrises. They need to get full boost + red-lined to clear the soot built up by tootling around. Even long m/way trips are just tootling for a 150+ bhp diesel.

Garage I use next door to work (group of ex-VAG mechanics) say the same, give it some stick to clear it out regularly.

mac1ZR

posted on 20/12/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a VW golf diesel, not had any probs, it gets redlined everyday on my way home from work, to get rid of the soot from the DPF
Lightning

posted on 23/12/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Tried booting it ', still does it. Very awkward on motorway going to limp home mode.

Look at the bright side at least my TVR is reliable !!!!!!!!

Steve

alistairolsen

posted on 24/12/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Not commenting on the nature of the OPs failure, but personally, I think its incredible what modern engines/cars CAN do. Yes VNT turbos go sticky if you let them soot up, but anyone who has driven one after driving an old wastegate controlled diesel will know it's night and day.

You cant have everything, in the last 30 years we've doubled economy, more than doubled power, halved emissions, made everything last longer (plenty 10 year old cars on the road and no one sniffs at 100k anymore - in the past that was graveyard stuff). We've also made cars easier to drive and simpler to operate (too simple now IMHO) with the advent of electric handbrakes that release automatically, fuel injection and on top of that added creature comforts to make our creature comforts more comfortable (electric heater elements in the heater box so you get warm air before the engines warm for instance, anyone who's had an older car is thankful enough for a heater that actually works....)

People complain when continuous operation outwith the design envelope causes sooting of VNT vanes, but with an old school derv it simply wouldn't operate there, who hasn't had an engine in the past that had a 'knack' to getting it to start?

Yes there are the odd failures within warranty, and daft bits of design, and half of that experience is the way the dealer deals with the aftermath - but I'm still constantly amazed by new cars personally.

[Edited on 24/12/13 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.