Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Striker Zetec Install
pekwah1

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Striker Zetec Install

Hi Guys,

Well as i managed to kill my xflow and i had a 2.0 blacktop Zetec sat in my garage, i figured this is a good time to start the conversion!

Planning to document what i'm doing for my own sanity on here!

So here goes:

pekwah1

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a 1999 Mondeo for a bargain, so i'm planning to install the Zetec with standard ignition and ECU as i'm tight.
Car drove pretty well, well the engine felt lovely anyway!
Done around 80k with full service history to prove, anyway, got it home and ripped the engine out in an evening.
Had some fun getting it out the top with the gearbox still in, but finally did it!

pekwah1

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so i have a new engine and a dead old engine, guess it better come out!

Quite straight forward as i expected it to be! And yes i did this during the storms over the last two days, what a plank!
Now to drop the new one in....

Had a bit of fun doing this, turns out the standard inlet is never going to fit in a million years, don't know why i thought it would to be honest as i'd done a fair bit of reading on it!

Anyway, engine is in(ish).... Need to fabricate some engine mounts to get it exactly where i want, at the moment it's sitting on a trolley jack!

[Edited on 24/12/13 by pekwah1]

loggyboy

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Raw told me they can fit under. They got ITG to make a custom filter to suit the standard inlet.

Mistral Motorsport

steve m

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good work m8, and if I had known you were doing this now, I would of come over and watched !
ps, can I have your old xflow mounts ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 24/12/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, not sure but then i was planning to put my exhaust mani over the chassis rail, in which case the inlet definitely wouldn't fit....
Otherwise could go for under the rail, but would have to have a play...
Also mine is a Sylva, don't know if the rails on the Raw Striker are a bit different?

And Steve, i was planning on butchering the old mounts to suit the Zetec, not sure they'd be any good for your car anyway would they?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 24/12/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the rails trianglutation is slightly different so over the chassis is easier for the exhaust manifold and the engine will fit with std inlet if you have a raw 2pce bonnet and nose one hope that helps....
pekwah1

posted on 24/12/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've just got the one piece sylva bonnet, but pretty sure it fits under it fine!
The issue is fitting between the chassis rails... Ill take some more photos to show at some point...

steve m

posted on 24/12/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not a problem if you were going to reuse yours,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

lewis

posted on 25/12/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I take it your on the road now as you have plates on the car mate nice one!! We can meet up for some drives in the summer now. Lewis.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

pekwah1

posted on 25/12/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Lewis, yep passed the IVA about a month or two ago! I will be driving her as much as poss so def up for some drives! Assuming it doesn't take me another year to get the engine in!!
sooty

posted on 28/12/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
My son has a Sylva Striker where the previous owner fitted a 2.0ltr Silvertop Zetec with a type 9 gearbox. The alternator mount has to be a homemade mount due to room.

Both the engine mounts to engine and exhaust manifold were homemade and failed.

Raw at Hereford, do both the engine mounts and tubular exhaust manifold with silencer if wanted. (Whom are very helpful with any queries).

You may have to drill the chassis rails to match the engine mounts, as the previous was a X-flow I think.

Worth contacting them.

pekwah1

posted on 28/12/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks,

yeh i've spoken to them before, i'm confident i can make some mounts (well get someone else to weld them) that will support the zetec. Mine was also an xflow originally.

As for the exhaust, i already have an over the rail manifold, just need to shorten it a bit....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.