Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finally got an MX5 Donor
prawnabie

posted on 28/12/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got an MX5 Donor

Hi Everyone!

After weeks of searching I have managed to get my hands on a 1.8 MX5. Its a little newer than I wanted so will have to have a cat and its a UK model so an open diff, but it was a bargain as it had failed the MOT on corrosion.

Now just need to decide between the SR2 or Vortx!

Thanks

rash12

posted on 29/12/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
sr2 is the way to go but that's just my opinion
Tazzzzman1

posted on 29/12/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, 2nd that....
Having done 4.5K last year (1st year on road) and no issues, I'd also recommend the Sr2.
Great build quality and performance.

Slimy38

posted on 29/12/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
You might get lucky with the diff, having a particular year car and a particular engine doesn't guarantee what diff it is. I thought mine was going to be an open, but removing the stub shafts revealed I have a viscous diff.

Nice garage by the way!

prawnabie

posted on 29/12/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

The garage is where I work, I will be storing the car there for a while until I can sort out my parents garage (they have power in their garage I haven't) then I will be commencing the strip down.

This is going to be built on a budget, I like the look of both cars, but the SR2 is a bit more expensive than the MNR (looking at the price list the initial costs are the same price but the SR2 is + VAT). I'm not keen on the SR2 one piece front end and inboard suspension, fuel tank is included in the MNR starter kit. I am going to contact roadrunner to confirm the actual price though.

As regards to the diff, I assumed all UK basic cars (this has no PAS EW AC etc) came with an open diff. The shafts are push in and not bolt on. I did try to rotate the rear wheels but the brakes are binding and only 1 turned! I will have a better look over the coming weeks/months as I really need to look at a few cars at shows etc to make up my mind.

Thanks again

Shaun

prawnabie

posted on 29/12/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at the revised price list for the SR2 at it has been changed. Inboard as standard now but the bodywork is not part of the starter kit?????? Puts it at just under 5500 + vat
Slimy38

posted on 29/12/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Just looked at the revised price list for the SR2 at it has been changed. Inboard as standard now but the bodywork is not part of the starter kit?????? Puts it at just under 5500 + vat

This is why I decided on welding together a Haynes Roadster as a base, that's a lot of money to stump up. I still have to buy a body at some point, but while I have more time than money I'm going to save as much as I can.

Stoneleigh is the best place to make the decision though, there will be other options that you may not have considered. For example, there is now the GBS Zero Mazda, although I've not seen a complete one yet.

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 2/1/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis is a work of art on the SR2 so in my opinion it's worth the price.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes totally agree. Check out their Facebook page, shows the complete chassis build up stage by stage, a real work of art and quality IMHO

ROADRUNNER RACING FACEBOOK

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.