Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting started
rv1890

posted on 28/10/04 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Getting started

Building a locost seems very interesting, and my father and I are planning to get into it ourselves.
I just have a couple questions.
1. Are the plans and dimensions for building a locost described in Ron Champions book? If not where do I get the plans and dimensions.
2. Can a 1987 BMW straight 6 or V6 engine and transmission be used in such cars?.

Thank you and any help would be greatly appreciated. keep up the good work.

phelpsa

posted on 28/10/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Use the Mcsorely plans, as the ones in the book are wrong in places. The Straight six is more likely to fit then the V6.

Do a good search on here.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 28/10/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Buy the book anyway!It has a lot of information on the build.
wicket

posted on 28/10/04 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
......& get yourselves a copy of the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) manual from the VOSA in Swansea.

The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency
PO Box 12
Swansea
SA1 1BP

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/10/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think a BMW straight 6 or a V6 would be a real struggle in a book chassis. I have a book chassis, and a pinto fills every space available, I cannot imagine where 2 extra pots would go.

Definately go for McSorely plans, the book is so vague to cover for its inaccuracies. Print out the plans and use them as templates for cutting. Rescued attachment Cramped.jpg
Rescued attachment Cramped.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chris Green

posted on 29/10/04 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
......& get yourselves a copy of the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) manual from the VOSA in Swansea.

The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency
PO Box 12
Swansea
SA1 1BP

How would I get this? Do I write a letter to them? or can I ring them up?

Cheers.

PioneerX

posted on 29/10/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Chirs,

I think you have to write to them as they needed cheque. As far as I remember they wouldnt take a card payment over the phone.

As far as the beamer engine goes I think it would be too big for a 'book chassis' but one of the larger designs maybe alright. Luego do a larger chassis (I believe its based on the McSorely +4 plan) (ie 4 inches wider than book) and they have got a Jag stright 6 in it, so have a look at the dimentions of the engine you plan to use and the dimentions of the engine bay on the McSorely +4 chassis. You will find more and more suppliers are doing bodywork in the +4 size, unless you plan to do your own bodywork.

Simon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 29/10/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
The Luego Viento is a lot bigger than a McSorley 7+4. We're building a +4, but the Viento is a beast.
philgregson

posted on 29/10/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of people on this forum are fitting a ford V6 into a locost. Mine along with many others are fitting into a standard 'book chassis' - it is a tight fit but doable.

I, along with every one else would recomend the McSorely plans - easy and accurate and although I haven't looked at the book for long time I think it is still worth reading before you start. Even if you and up doing a lot of it a different way it is still a good starting point.

Whatever people say about the book just look at the number of poor sad fools on this site, most of whom were inspired by the mighty tome. It was certainly enough to get my interest going and will no doubt be responsible for the ruin of thousands more.

The best resource, however, is this site - many builds would not have been completed without it.

Have fun

Phil

Tigers

posted on 29/10/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
BMW straigh six

The biggest problem with bimmer 6-pot monster is that it's quite high, as intake mainfold goes over camshaft cover. Otherwise it fits fine in +4 chasis (with longer engine compartment. Probaly you want to take off original fan and swap to electric one - that also saves a lot of space.
I'm thinking - would it be possible to fit intake mainfold from M50/M52 to M20 engine? If not, I will just make a big air intake above the hood.

Janis

Jon Ison

posted on 29/10/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Been said many times so in short........

The book is an inspiration and guide, it aint gospel, buy it, read it, build it.
Yes there are mistakes but there easy to spot and overcome, once youve got the bottom rails down and get into the chassis build proper don't take the book measurments as been what you need, if it says for example "bar xxx is 450mm long" measure it on your chassis, and if it needs to be 460mm long then thats how long to cut it, simple but thats been a complaint by some, "i cut my bar as per book and its 15mm short".
2nd bit of advice don't cut all your tubes/bars at once but pretty much as you go along that way you won't fall foul of the above.
3rd bit of advice, get on with it n enjoy.
4th bit of advice, dont take as gospel all you read on here, post a query, read the replys and make your own mind up, there must be hundreds of locosts out there, no two will look alike but each will be loved by its owner/builder and the envy of many.

before anyone gets shirty on point 4 dont read it the wrong way, what i mean is listen to everyone but make your own mind up, what worked for or was liked by you/me may not be everyones cup of tea.

sad init when you have to explain yourself for fear of offending anyone.

phelpsa

posted on 29/10/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Round of applause for jon's wonderful speach.

philgregson

posted on 29/10/04 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

sad init when you have to explain yourself for fear of offending anyone.

You offensive B*****d!!

If you don't want to offend anyone then you should perhaps try a little harder:

quote:

dont read it the wrong way

!!!!

I'm sure many people on this site are dyslexic and cannot help but read it the wrong way - and why shouldn't they if that is what they want??

quote:

listen to everyone

!!!

Words fail me! What if someone is deaf and incapable of listening to anyone, let alone everyone. Why do you think they should be exempt from your so-called good advice eh!

quote:

what worked for or was liked by you/me may not be everyones cup of tea

So what is or is not a tasty and effective cup of tea is down to you/me now - no room for different tea tastes on this faschist forum then!!!
quote:

when you have to explain yourself for fear of offending anyone

So you have to explain your self to the rest of us then - you patronising F****wit. I'm just sorry that the rest of us are not quite up to your obviously superior standards of intellect.

I submit that Jon, and indeed anyone else with an aponion contrary to mine, or indeed anything to say at all should be expelled from this forum forthwith - this is not the place for such behaviour.

This may, or may not, be my last post (possibly) on this matter - for now anyway!

Yours angrily

Phil

P.S. What does anyone think about the weather?

indykid

posted on 29/10/04 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
lol

its a bit muggy up here, still, i suppose it's not too bad for this time of the year

tom

Jon Ison

posted on 29/10/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
sorry you feel that way Phil, i would like to offer a full and public apoligy to you. so hear goes "sorry".

philgregson

posted on 29/10/04 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

its a bit muggy up here

You lot just can't help yourselves can you!!!!

quote:

sorry you feel that way Phil, i would like to offer a full and public apoligy to you. so hear goes "sorry".

err, err, err - wasn't expecting that one - how am I meant to be offended by that? Bugger!

Phil

Jon Ison

posted on 29/10/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Phil, i will try n explain myself cos i think you missed the point
quote:

what worked for or was liked by you/me may not be everyones cup of tea

the "you" refered to the other 3.5k members on here not "me and a.n.other"

my point was liten to others but make your own mind up, everyone is entilted to an opinion, if we all thought the same it would be pretty boring, and your fully entitled to dissagree, no problem with that, but to use the terms you used was not imho the way to do it..........

there guess it dont make sense cos i'm no intelect.

I refuse to get into a foul mouthed slanging match with anyone so like iv'e posted below "Time to go" enjoy your builds, enjoy your cars, be proud of what you built.

philgregson

posted on 29/10/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Jon

I really didn't miss the point - in my own way I was attempting to agree with you by parodying the intolerant behaviour that seems to be becoming more prevelent on this site.

I thought it was funny

Sorry!

See 'time to go' post

Jeffers_S13

posted on 4/11/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PioneerX
Chirs,

I think you have to write to them as they needed cheque. As far as I remember they wouldnt take a card payment over the phone.

As far as the beamer engine goes I think it would be too big for a 'book chassis' but one of the larger designs maybe alright. Luego do a larger chassis (I believe its based on the McSorely +4 plan) (ie 4 inches wider than book) and they have got a Jag stright 6 in it, so have a look at the dimentions of the engine you plan to use and the dimentions of the engine bay on the McSorely +4 chassis. You will find more and more suppliers are doing bodywork in the +4 size, unless you plan to do your own bodywork.

Simon.

How much is the SVA guide, I cant find anything about it on the VOSA website.

James

PioneerX

posted on 4/11/04 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Jeffers,

£38 I think, but it was a while ago and I dont have my build receipts to had right now.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/11/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
btw

a v6 is SHORTER than an average 4 cyl engine - my colgne 2.9 v6 is about 3 1/2 cylinders long compared to a pinto.

however, its wider at the top as the cylinders top out at the V. But thats the widest point of a locost chassis anyways.

atb

steve

timf

posted on 4/11/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13
How much is the SVA guide, I cant find anything about it on the VOSA website.

James

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/sva%20newsletter%20-%20october%202001.pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.t xt?query=esva+manual&pr=VOSA&order=r&cq=&id=418a5944f

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.