Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time has come to replace my boiler
David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Time has come to replace my boiler

I've had enough of my 9-year-old Baxi combi boiler - it has barely managed to run 3 months at a time without need open-heart surgery, and it doesn't do a great job when it does work.

In the past people here have recommended either Vaillant or Worcester Bosch - are they still the best? Is either one better than the other? Neither is cheap, but I reckon you get what you pay for: the Baxi was relatively cheap, but I wish I'd read the bad reviews before I signed up to get it fitted.

All advice and tales of experience of either make gratefully received!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
9-year-old Baxi combi boiler That was your first mistake worst bucket of tin ever……you are not alone

replaced with an ALPHA and has fancy filters on it great thing

joneh

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Valillant, they're a bit fussy if your system isn't thoroughly clean. The installation instructions insist on a power flush. I had a few issues with the exchanger getting blocked, but has now been fine for a couple of years.
Dick Axtell

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Vaillant

Hello DJ.

I would happily recommend a Vaillant boiler. Had one installed May last year, and its been very efficient and reliable.
The installation guys stated that they dealt with only Vaillant or Worcester-Bosch, because none of other makes had proved sufficiently relaible. I went with their recommendation.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

iank

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Had both (in different houses), never had any problems with either.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would avoid Worcester green star boilers. Unless they have changed their layout.
Just had one repaired in a rental property. The prv, a £20 part was leaking. Most boilers a simple job, but on the green stars involves stripping out a large part of the boiler. It cost £200 in labour, over double most boilers.
Just fitted a vaillant 831 in my own house, fitter commented how well it was laid out internally, stuff easy to get at.

Had a vaillant at my last place, 8 years old and never touched. The Worcester is 4 years old, the prv went because an idiot previous tenant played about and left the filler loop open, so shouldn't normally be an issue, but poor layout is a well known issue.

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
As an aside, well with fitting a magnclean or tf1. Well worth the money as help prevent future problems.
mark chandler

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted one of these last month, 7 years guarantee

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/potterton-titanium-40he-combi

It can certainly push out lots of heat extremely quickly, turned up in a few days.

I also added the boiler protection pack and wireless thermostat.
Regards Mark

[Edited on 1/1/14 by mark chandler]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
9-year-old Baxi combi boiler That was your first mistake worst bucket of tin ever……you are not alone

Tell me about it - it's always been reasonably good on the heating side, but we've had nothing but problems with the multipoint hot water bit - ruptured diaphragms, failed sensors, and so on. Now it's making bad gurgling noises every time we use a hot tap, and I just can't be bothered to get it fixed again. It could well be scale (we're in an area of slightly hard water) but I'm not going to waste any more money on it.

Thanks everyone for all the advice (including some in a U2U) - all noted and will be pondered over...

Alfa145

posted on 1/1/14 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Vaillant for me every time. Worcester Bosch are good but as said above the internal layout is a nightmare to repair parts. The Vaillant is far simpler.

Also I'm told both have a stainless heat exchanger outer but the Worcester is Ally inside where the Vaillant is fully stainless.

I have both in rental properties and neither has given me a problem (yet).....

ashg

posted on 2/1/14 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
we have a vokera its been very good for the last 5 years and i believe they are a branch of the valliant group.

one thing to watch out for with the energy ratings is typically a b rated boiler is a couple of hundred cheaper than an A rated boiler but don't be fooled.

forget the letter rating and look at the actual efficiency percentage rating. my b rated boiler was only 1% less efficient than the £400 more expensive A rated valliant equivalent. in gas usage terms in my house it worked out to about £12 more per year for the extra gas the b rated boiler would use, to earn the £400 back for being A rated would take 33 years at £12 a year.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 2/1/14 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
oh and btw my bro went for the Worcester Bosch and its been nothing but trouble, it started off badly, they had to come out and replace the flow regulator the first week he had it because his hot water pressure was appalling, then the fan packed up last year, and this year it got a mind of its own and wouldn't shut down even though the controller was telling it to stop.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
vaillant ecotec plus 831 here.... Very good no problems except the vaillant wireless controllers over complicated and doesn't have a very strong wireless signal

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mds167

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
and this year it got a mind of its own and wouldn't shut down even though the controller was telling it to stop.

If it has a wireless thermostat controller - they are rubbish! Had this issue with ours not long after it was installed but it has calmed down now. We put it in the same room as the receiver for a week, that's all. When we had a service this year the engineer said the W-B controllers are rubbish.

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

adam1985

posted on 2/1/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
we have a vokera its been very good for the last 5 years and i believe they are a branch of the valliant group.

one thing to watch out for with the energy ratings is typically a b rated boiler is a couple of hundred cheaper than an A rated boiler but don't be fooled.

forget the letter rating and look at the actual efficiency percentage rating. my b rated boiler was only 1% less efficient than the £400 more expensive A rated valliant equivalent. in gas usage terms in my house it worked out to about £12 more per year for the extra gas the b rated boiler would use, to earn the £400 back for being A rated would take 33 years at £12 a year.

Vokera are nothing to do with vaillant
Im pretty sure you cant buy band b boilers anymore

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just had my first quote... and they're having a laugh!

Ignoring all the trimmings like power flushing, thermostat (I do need a new one) and so on, he quoted just over £3000 for the whole job, which included £2400 for the boiler plus fitting. The boiler in question I could buy on-line from reputable suppliers for £950 - £1000 inc. VAT - and they can buy it at trade prices. Taking 'Joe Public' prices, they are costing the job up at £1400 for 2 men for 1 day. Even allowing for sundry materials and some faffing about, that's a damn good daily rate! Note that he had listed separately a number of additional costs such as flushing out the old system and electrical work, so that £1400 is just for tearing out the old boiler, fixing the new and plumbing up to the existing pipework. In all fairness it will be a pig of a job as the existing boiler is in the upstairs airing cupboard and not very easy to access - but that's one hell of a mark-up!

I know that most businesses have all sorts of overheads that aren't visible to the customer (I used to be self-employed so I know the score) but this quote just smacks of male bovine droppings...

Apart from that:

* He quoted for a boiler that Worcester Bosch haven't made for over a year.
* He insisted that his recommended power capability should be the same as the existing Baxi, despite me telling him that it was barely adequate and that I was happy to go up one level (particularly as we wanted better hot water capability).

I told him at the outset that I'm getting a few quotes - and his parting words were "Let me know if someone else quotes a lower price, and maybe I can reduce our total". So why didn't he quote a realistic price immediately?

So I'll just carry on looking for quotes, and hopefully find someone who's on the same planet as me...

[Edited on 2/1/14 by David Jenkins]

kj

posted on 2/1/14 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
What about getting one through the green deal, anyone done that, is it worth it?

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

coozer

posted on 2/1/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried Helplink?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mookaloid

posted on 2/1/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Typically we pay about £2k for a straightforward replacement combi in up here in Yorkshire so shop around.

You should be able to do better than that.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £280 cash to get mine fitted and signed off. New install, there was the gas main and all the tails about a metre from the boiler, he drilled the flue, fitted it all and signed off, bacon sarnie the lot by 1pm.

Have a look on fleabag, lots of people offer fixed price deals, may be worth a look.

Dualist

posted on 2/1/14 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting thread, I'm updating my boiler come spring as I'm fed up with paying £5 a day to heat my house and water

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dualist
Interesting thread, I'm updating my boiler come spring as I'm fed up with paying £5 a day to heat my house and water

Best thing we've done to our house is replace the crappy old boiler with a new condensing Worcester combi boiler. We have chopped our gas bill by 40%, it gets caned too with my cold blooded other half. Has been in for 3 years now and has been faultless. Hot water much faster, hot radiators faster and we now run the shower off it so are saving on the electric too.

adam1985

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Key thing with any new boiler is having a clean system so if it needs flushing get it done.
With the vaillants if the installers are vaillant approved you will get 7 years warranty on the plus range and 5 years on pro range
Also worth a mention are glowworm ultracom2 with a climapro2 programmer good piece of kit

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.