Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oversized Pinto Pistons
alland3851

posted on 6/1/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oversized Pinto Pistons

Hi, I am looking for a set of +0.75mm(0.030" HC Pistons for a 2.0l SOHC Pinto. Anybody got a set or any help as to where I might be able to source them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not Anumber

posted on 6/1/14 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is this something you are planning or have the cylinders already been bored out to +0.75 ?

I looked into it when rebuilding my Pinto and ended up going for +0.50 as the pistons were more readilly available. You would not notice tany difference in power between the two.

mcerd1

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
burton power normally sell cast AE ones in +0.75mm (9.2:1 CR)
although it says low stock at the moment
(if you phone them they'll tell you when they are expecting more)

but they also do some in +0.5mm, +1.0mm and +1.5mm (and the 2.8 V6 ones that give +2.25mm)

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-fitment-type/parts-by-engine-ford/ford-sohc-pinto.html?limit=40&product_area=745&product_group=293

[Edited on 6/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

garyo

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's there a cheat on this - something like using Fiesta Diesel pistons? Or are they the ones that give you a higher CR on a standard bore size?

Gary

alland3851

posted on 6/1/14 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, the engine has been bored to +0.75. This is originally a Transit engine that was reconditioned hence the odd size. Unfortunately they put in the LC Pistons.

I don't know if any other pistons would fit.

Cheers

garyo

posted on 6/1/14 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look for you tonight - I've got a feeling there was some combo of Fiesta pistons and 2.8 V6 rods, or vice versa, that might work (you might need to machine a little off the top of the pistons to avoid too high a CR, but it could be cheaper than a new set of pistons)

It's in Des Hamill's Pinto/YB book.

Gary

alland3851

posted on 6/1/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Gary, much appreciated

Allan

rusty nuts

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
2.8 V6 Pistons might be suitable IIRC as well as modified 1.8 diesel con rods for extra strength( cheaper than Cossie rods)
garyo

posted on 6/1/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
This isn't as much help as I thought, but here it is for the sake of completeness on the thread:

The 2.8 V6 Granada pistons will take 8500 rpm and are 93mm diameter taking the capacity to 2094cc. So you'd need a re-bore to fit them to your transit engine. If used with standard con rods you'll be well down on compression. However, used in conjunction with Fiesta 1600 diesel rods, the pistons will be flush with the deck. The fiesta rods will also take 8500 rpm if you lighten the little end. Unfortunately the Fiesta rods aren't a drop-in fit - they need the big-end re-boring, and the fully floating small end means you need to fit teflon buttons to keep it in place.

So - perhaps you could use the pistons if a re-bore works out cheaper than a new set of oversized pistons, but both options might be pricey compared to getting a standard 2.0 pinto as a replacement. The book doesn't say how much you can machine off the top of a block, but says 0.75mm would take the CR from 9.2 to 9.9.

Gary

mcerd1

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
the V6 pistons are the ones burtons sell as +2.25mm
you'll also need a '205' block to be 100% sure its safe to bore it that big...

I've heard of the 1600 diesel rods being used as is, but offset grinding the crank to the smaller size to increase the stroke
not sure what pistons they ended up with to make all that work but I'm sure it cost several hundred £ to do all the re-machining alone - its just not worth it !

a re-bore up to +1.0mm is the best option if +0.75mm pistons aren't available (but check with burtons first, they might have +0.75mm ones due in stock soon for all you know )

-

alland3851

posted on 7/1/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I think the easiest,most cost effective , will be to contact Burtons for a stock outlook on the +0.75 pistons.

Thanks to all.

Allan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.