Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a modem please
russbost

posted on 10/1/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a modem please

Morning Gents

I have a fairly ancient Netgear DG 934G modem router, recently it has started to "drop out" ie lose internet connection & also frequently comes up with messages about "you have a duplicate ip address", rebooting it normally seems to clear the errors, but I'd rather replace than wait for it to expire. It was replaced once before when I switched to Orange for broadband & they supplied a later type modem which had mode B (?) when the old one was N (?) I think - as you can see I know lots about this subject! - the modem router Orange supplied was rubbish, incredibly slow, hence we switched back to the old Netgear which has been fine until just b4 Xmas.

What I want is something that will simply do its job, not looking for bells whistles or extreme speed, it just needs to handle a couple of computers & tablets & sometimes a phone or 3, I do also stream music over the network with a Logitech.

Can anyone recommend me towards something which will just sit in the corner & be rock solid & never want attention a "just does what it says on the tin" jobby !

Thanx in advance!

[Edited on 10/1/14 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
deezee

posted on 10/1/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Any Wireless G router would do the job. Unless you have unbelievable internet speed, or you move files around your network and N would be the one. Every brand has a cheapo range and a better range. I prefer draytek at work at they are the bees knees. But in the satellite offices, we also use Netgear and D-Link, with great success. I tend to stay away from the budget end of the spectrum, TP Link, Belkin etc. because they are so feature poor when you actual try to configure them for anything other than connecting to the internet.

britishtrident

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using and recommending D-Link. routers and access points for .some years and find them rock solid and have very good WiFi signals.

I have had bad experiences with Belkin in the past

Also beware it could be a fault with the card at the exchange also you could be getting throttled is your usage is high, unlimited broadband is usually limited.
Also because of the amount of bandwidth hogged by others areusing TV over internet it is more than possible that your local link is getting saturated, which is why I am going fibre.

[Edited on 10/1/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 13/1/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanx for the info guys, just ordered a D link

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.