Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Jacking points?
Slimy38

posted on 11/1/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Jacking points?

As per title really, is it worth strengthening some area of the chassis to allow easy jacking? Or does the chassis already lend itself to being lifted for oil changes, tyre swaps etc?
Dooey99

posted on 11/1/14 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
its not really worth reinforcing any part of the chassis to jack on as it is already a very rigid design, i jack anywhere on the box section of the chassis but if your still abit worried about doing it jack on a bit of the chassis were another bit of chassis joins to it.

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

jacko

posted on 11/1/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't jack on the suspension arms
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 11/1/14 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I jack anywhere.

Well, strictly speaking I jack in only two places, one at the front and one at the rear, I use axle stands on the outside rails near joins for stability once its up there.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Not Anumber

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any reccomendation on what type/ origin of scissor jack thats ideal for lifting our cars with incidentally ?

I tend to use an old Toyota scissor jack which isnt the best shape for box section though it's ok just to lift the car slightly until i can get a trolley jack under the chassis. Anyone come accros something better suited ?

mcerd1

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
I tend to use an old Toyota scissor jack which isnt the best shape for box section

sounds like you need a smaller trolley jack

you could always weld on a better shaped top to an old scissor jack to make it better suited (best avoid the modern jacks with plastic nuts though )

or weld on brackets to your chassis rally car style

[Edited on 13/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

skov

posted on 13/1/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to jack mine in places where the bottom chassis rails join with upright chassis rails (or at least close).
I'd avoid jacking in the middle of rails just in case they cave in...

As for a jack make sure you get something low profile.
My original jack didn't go low enough to fit under the front of the car, so I had to jack it in two stages putting blocks of wood underneath in between which was a bit of a ballache!
Recently replaced it with a cheapo low profile one off ebay and it's loads less hassle now

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/1/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I tended to jack where two chassis members cross, not because the single spa is not strong enough, but because I found it slipped a few times on the jack head, not alot but enough to remove paint which was annoying. So where the frames members crossed was more secure, so I had to repaint less often.

The car only weighs a few hundred KGs, so I'm have no worries lifting the car with any part of the frame.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.