Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Views on X-Trail or Freelander Td4
mikeb

posted on 21/1/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Views on X-Trail or Freelander Td4

Thinking of getting another car, decided I don't really want to rack up 20k + a year on my 3 series cabby.
Really I should go for an out and out mileage mucher but quite fancy a 4x4 for the dog, camping, kids etc.

So anyone have views on the X-trail and Freelander looking at around 120k examples on 2001/2 plate, budget around 2k- 2.5k. basically I want it to last for 2 years with min fuss after that it wont owe me anything.

Rek

posted on 21/1/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an X-Trail last November having seen it myself while looking at replacements for my stepdads ancient jeep. there are some gotcha's like the brake callipers and the heater fan failing (which is a pain to get to).

On the positive side the 4wd system is idiot proof (2wd-auto-locked) and when needed actually works really well and the 99.99% of the time FWD is quite good on petrol considering.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk is a good place for how to guides and advice

I bought the less popular 2.5 petrol, Its a very smooth comfy soft roader, but probably not as good for crossing the Kalahari as a Freelander... that said I couldn't afford a Freelander of the same vintage that wasn't silly mileage or at least one thing broken, and on reflection I'm glad I got the Nissan now

rayward

posted on 21/1/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
if you havent already, have a look into the ird and centre viscous coupling problems on the freelander , it might put you off if it doesnt at least you'll know how to check for a possible problem

hth
Ray

D Beddows

posted on 21/1/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
X-Trails of that vintage are very 'Japanese' inside, I went to look at a few a while back and came to the conclusion I couldn't live with it on a daily basis - but that's just me! They drove alright though
britishtrident

posted on 21/1/14 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
It is like a list of what not to buy.
The Freelander is a late 1980s Rover 214 floor pan jacked up with 4x4 running gear added on.
As for Nissan do a google on Nissan diesel turbo problems.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ianm67

posted on 21/1/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

The Nissan X-trail uses a Renault diesel turbo engine. Pretty bullet proof. All the benefits of a French diesel engine and Japanese reliability.

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

The Nissan X-trail uses a Renault diesel turbo engine. Pretty bullet proof. All the benefits of a French diesel engine and Japanese reliability.

Far from bullet proof famous as are all Renault turbo diesels for the turbo blowing up and the shrapnel exiting via the inlet manifold taking the engine with it.
The cause was a combination of not specifying fully synthetic oil and extended service intervals.
If the engine has been run on fully synthetic from new and the oil changed at sensible intervals no problem, otherwise the turbo oil feed hose gets gunged up and the turbo blows. Usually about 10,000 miles before the turbo fails the egr valve gunges up, a lot of owners take heed of the early warning and sell the vehicle.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mikeb

posted on 21/1/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
probably too much to go wrong on both for that price.
I kinda of facny something for aroudn 1700 that I can rack up some miles on that won't owe me anthing.

Fancy the look of the hyundai coupe, dirt cheap for what your get, just found 2 low milers on a 03 plate with full leather for 1700, bit of practicality with the hatch and still look half decent for a hack.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310189352040/sort/locasc/usedcars/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/2500/transmissio n/manual/model/coupe/postcode/dn93lt/radius/1500/make/hyundai/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old?logcode=p

[Edited on 21/1/14 by mikeb]

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/1/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
We've had an 05 X trail 2.5 petrol from new drives and tows well, comfy hard wearing leather seats a plus, all mod cons , main dealers ripped us off on a series of brake calipers initially but no real probs since stopped taking it there. Only niggle is headlights can't be adjusted for different loads which seems like a basic requirement these days, have heard of probs with the 6 speed gear box on other cars and large bills to get that re built. As a a family car it has lots of space and the long legged grown up kids enjoy travelling long distance s in it
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 21/1/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to pick up a petrol Honda CR-V for that money.

Front wheel drive most of the time with 4WD that kicks in automagically through the use of a trick clutch in the rear diff.

Nice sized car with Honda reliability.

mark chandler

posted on 21/1/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about a halfway house, I give you the V70 cross country

Loads of room, lots of luxury and off road capability

T66

posted on 21/1/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a high miler Freelander TD4 van a few years ago, managed to avoid the VC problem,but it did blow the oil cooler and empty the engine oil onto the road and inside the coolant system. Common enough problem, if the expansion bottle is oily black inside its done it before.

Apart from a new cooler, it was good on diesel, sloppy gearchange and ok to drive. Mine was £1500. Sold it to Romania for £1600...

I wouldnt have another one.

If I had your sort of money and wanted 4x4 I would be looking at Subaru Foresters.

[Edited on 21/1/14 by T66]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.