Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter Update - MK Indy
Matt21

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Winter Update - MK Indy

I've finally got my thumb out with doing some work on my MK indy.

I have quite a long list, some of it fixing things, some of it improving things.

obviously no pics of me fixing my fuel level sensor etc...

but I did complete my undertray, I started in the summer by making a diffuser to cover the rear end up and hopefully smooth the air flow!
so last week I made an undertray to cover the underside of the engine bay, I also extended it out as a splitter

here it is painted and the tie bars fitted

After this was finished, I started on my boot build, the idea of this was to smooth off the back end and add a place to store bits and bobs and maybe a picnic for in the summer

this is how it sits at the moment, I'm waiting for some glass black vinyl wrap, edge trim, rubber seal and lining carpet to arrive in the post to finish it off, hopefully tomorrow

I'll pop some new pics up once its completed

Not Anumber

posted on 29/1/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
That looks really good Matt.

Have you any pictures and measurements of the work you did on the boot ?

teegray19

posted on 29/1/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

do you have a link to the rod end bits you used on the front of the nose cone etc, cheers

yellowcab

posted on 29/1/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely job - great work
Matt21

posted on 29/1/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
these are the turnbuckles I got
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141036756745

though these may be better/easier as I had to make the studs to fasten them on
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181260205624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

as for measurements, nope, I just make it up as I go along as opposed to drawing it and making it from that.
I started by making a rectangle of angle ally to the size of the boot box I wanted and went from there.

in hind sight, I would do that, then get some plastic sheet to make a cover for the whole top area out of three pieces with an opening for the boot (which is what I will be doing eventually, depends how the wrap turns out on this )

Matt21

posted on 30/1/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Completed for now!

Inside is carpeted and that silver bit at the rear is black now

Matt21

posted on 22/2/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Update

I decided my boot build looked a bit messy, and carbon sheet was too pricey
so i thought i would get some carbon effect abs and see what it was like, much better than i expected!

so i replaced the side panels and covered the whole top with it too which makes it much better!

also gave a calipers a clean up and a lick of paint, also added a bit of grease to the edge of the piston and sliders just to keep things free

as you may have seen from my other threads, I've been trying to rewire the whole car, here it is before i started

behind the dash

started stripping

found this in the loom?! two cocktail sticks with what appears to be a melted resistor! not sure what it was for but it wasn't connected up anymore and the car still worked?!

AS far as the wiring goes, I've got the CDI unit wired up to where it needs to go, just need to work on the other bits and bobs now, hopefully it wont take too long!

finally, cleaned off the gammy old foam that the bonnet and nose cone sits on and added some new stuff

I've just got word that my parts are done at the powder coaters, so hopefully i'll pick them up tomorrow and get it back on all four wheels!

theduck

posted on 22/2/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a close up of the carbon effect plastic and a link to where you bought it? May get some for mine if it looks the part!
Matt21

posted on 22/2/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
closest iv got

I was expecting it to look pretty cheap and tacky tbh. when i unpackaged it it was facing down and the black side looked abit rough, then i turned it over and it looked better, once taking the protective film off it looked great! very good effect, MUCH better than the carbon wrap

I got it from play skool, i got the 1225x605 2.5mm sheet, great for a boot build.
the 4mm would be ideal if you plan on not using and support underneath

Matt21

posted on 23/2/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
did a little bit of work earlier once i got the bits back from powder coating.

front wishbones

back together

had these black strips done for the sides too, they were just bare ally before and look much better now!

now atleast i can get the car out in the sun to do the wiring rather than be stuck in the dark garage! and i can give it a rinse down to get all the mud off it too

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.