Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rental-free shield gas suppliers
Browser

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Rental-free shield gas suppliers

Just been looking into this, bugger me there's a variety!!! 9/11/13/15/20 litre or 7/14lb sizes, 135/200/300 bar fill, without devising a complex calculation spreadsheet (which believe me is NOT my forte by any stretch!) how the heck does one decide which will be cheapest?
I've used the tried-and-tested standby of using the one who's nearest to my house who stocks Hobbyweld products so I'll see how I get on.
I think when I'm old enough to restire I'll either have to have (a) got my welding to a standard where I can charge people for welding jobs and so cove the cost of my shield gas or (b) learn to braze with my Rothenberger propane blowtorch and stick to MMA if I need to stick bigger lumps together.
Does anyone have any experience of any of the rent-free suppliers?

Slimy38

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
So I went for Hobby weld 5, 137 bar 9 litres I think? It's a decent size and weight for moving about, and I've welded most of my chassis with the gauge still above 100 bar so it's plenty for the average car build. The bigger tanks work out cheaper per litre, but I didn't see any benefit to that much gas. The supplier advised the 9 litre tank for a home user, and said he's rented dozens but only ever refilled a couple.
Myke 2463

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Neighbour I use Adams gas from J&I Engineers in Kings Lynn 9L 137 bar, good service.

Be Lucky Mike.

benchmark51

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've been more than happy with hobbyweld 5 for the last 2 years.
Browser

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies gents.

Wisbech Mike? Gimme six!

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am kicking myself as my renewal on my very nearly empty bottle of Argon has just gone of my bank. £105

There are now several places around this way that do the hobby weld and there are some other types as well. Several advertise on ebay. Some also do oxygen and acetylene haven't used that since college though.

theprisioner

posted on 29/1/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Acetelene replacement gas

I dumped my Acetylene cylinder from BoC, had enough of their ever increasing rental charges. And in addition I am now retired so I cannot claim tax relief on the rental. This is the last cylinder of my 4 to be converted to a one time deposit bottle system. I have just today replaced my acetylene with a Propylene cylinder which gives me a slightly lower flame temperature 5198degf vs 6000degf for acetylene but apparently has some unknown advantages to me see:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/oxy-fuel-cutting.html

Obviously the down side is the lack of enough temperature for welding but I use mainly electricity for that e.g. TIG/MIG etc.

The up side for me is I did not have to buy another regulator just a new hose, the regulator just screwed into the tank with the usual LHT that my BoC bottle used for acetelene.

The cost difference is huge at £50 deposit and £36 refill and £15 delivery (once a year if that). The bottle rental for BoC was £100/year + refill admin charge + gas cost. They even supply you a nice box for sending it back (which you are required to keep for returning the bottle).

Anyway I just thought I would share this with you, the company is called Welding Gases in St Helens. I have not tried the setup yet as the 3/8" inch Propane hose needs an adapter to fit my BoC torch (£3.50 from Leangate). I will let you know!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Browser

posted on 29/1/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I am kicking myself as my renewal on my very nearly empty bottle of Argon has just gone of my bank. £105

There are now several places around this way that do the hobby weld and there are some other types as well. Several advertise on ebay. Some also do oxygen and acetylene haven't used that since college though.

Custom Creations
113 Broadgate
Weston Hills
Spalding
PE12 6DQ
tel 07903463362
Spoke to the proprieter today, a bloke named Graham, he stocks the Hobbyweld range, that's where I'm going to go tomorrow.

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yep well know for things like chopper frames I believe. If its where I think it is then its a big yard at the start of Austendyke Rd and his home is on Broadgate. Big white house with a chopper wind vane / house number. House stands next to a sugar beat pad.

Let me know how you get on as I was going to cancel my boc contract and buy an argon and an argon shield. I just didn't get around to it.

[Edited on 29/1/14 by big_wasa]

Browser

posted on 29/1/14 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
He described the beet pad as a point to look out for, I'll see how it goes and let you know, hopefully OK as I'd like to get a pure argon soon and get my TIG learning off and running.

edthedrummer

posted on 6/2/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Any news on this? would be handy if I decide to buy a tig...

See there's plenty of you lot from spalding area then

Browser

posted on 6/2/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not used it yet but it was £60 for the deposit (returnable if I decide to get rid of it any time) and £34 for the gas fill (135 barG and I think the bottle was around 11 litre? Hopefully get a chance to give it a go on the MIG tomorrow.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.