[Edited on 11/2/14 by Brett Jones]

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

Matt21

posted on 11/2/14 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
sounds absolutely awesome!
Davey D

posted on 11/2/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like an awesome bit of kit, but:

"The Caterham 620R is one of the world's most extreme lightweight sports cars ever built." so why put it up vs a golf GTI... come on...that seems like a completely pointless comparison to me, and most basic low powered kitcars will beat a Golf GTI. why not put it up against a real sportscar like a ferrari, posche, BMW M, etc etc so people can really gauge the performace of it

Coopz

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
The sound is spot on. Awesome car, absolutely love it!
jeffw

posted on 11/2/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Similar power to weight as my Phoenix....it has slightly less power (310 v 350) and slightly less weight (550Kg(?) v 620Kg) I do want the gearbox though (Sadev) but it is only rated to 260 ft lb, which is why the 620R is detuned from what it could have with the setup on it.

scootz

posted on 11/2/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

"The Caterham 620R is one of the world's most extreme lightweight sports cars ever built." so why put it up vs a golf GTI... come on...that seems like a completely pointless comparison to me, and most basic low powered kitcars will beat a Golf GTI. why not put it up against a real sportscar like a ferrari, posche, BMW M, etc etc so people can really gauge the performace of it

Because not many folk own, or have experienced a Ferrari, Porsche, BMW M car, etc.

By comparing it's acceleration with a humble Golf, Joe Bloggs can get an understandable appreciation of just how fast the damn thing is!

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Because not many folk own, or have experienced a Ferrari, Porsche, BMW M car, etc.

By comparing it's acceleration with a humble Golf, Joe Bloggs can get an understandable appreciation of just how fast the damn thing is!

Also they need the manufacturers to lend them test cars and pay for expensive full page ads. I doubt, for example, that VW/Porsche would be very happy that it had "slayed" a 911 and might stop giving them cars to play with and maybe even reconsider whether a competing mag might be a better place to put their ads and give exclusives on model launches.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bi22le

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Also they need the manufacturers to lend them test cars and pay for expensive full page ads. I doubt, for example, that VW/Porsche would be very happy that it had "slayed" a 911 and might stop giving them cars to play with and maybe even reconsider whether a competing mag might be a better place to put their ads and give exclusives on model launches.

an interesting look on it and one I think is probably unfortunatly true! Shame they cant review cars more honestly. I would of liked to see it compared to the V8 Atom or road going Radical. They are closer to its spec.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Twin40

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
You guys need to watch this vid:

Track Car of The Year 2013

Evo magazine track car of the year 2013

Awesome stuff!

Wadders

posted on 11/2/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nice........but at 50 large it will have to go on the lottery wish list

What we need is a locost version, 310 bhp 4cyl and 550kg can't be that difficult to do on the cheap can it?

Ok so you might have to stump up a few grand for the sequential box, but surely still nowhere near 50k

sdh2903

posted on 11/2/14 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
A westy s2000 with a supercharger would see 300-320bhp and maybe possible for around 20k?

Love the cateringvan but £50k

scootz

posted on 11/2/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
A westy s2000 with a supercharger would see 300-320bhp and maybe possible for around 20k?

The devil's in the detail!

It's Evolution Baby!

sdh2903

posted on 11/2/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but not 30k worth of detail!!
jeffw

posted on 11/2/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Nice........but at 50 large it will have to go on the lottery wish list

What we need is a locost version, 310 bhp 4cyl and 550kg can't be that difficult to do on the cheap can it?

Ok so you might have to stump up a few grand for the sequential box, but surely still nowhere near 50k

It can certainly be done for a lot less than that. Have a look at TTS website and what Flack Monkey did to his Duratec and what I've done to a Zetec. Still not cheap but not £50K either.

emwmarine

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
The comments on the video suggest there is still space in the Darwin Awards.

Building a Dax Rush.

beaver34

posted on 12/2/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

i think the westy would be more than that to build to that spec if your building from new

think its a great car and they hold there value because of this and 90% of the time there better than what people build themselves

there are some cars that will match it on here like jeffs and the 200sx turbo car i think ive seen on here that will have been a fair amount cheaper to build

i know what its cost me to build by 340bhp 550kg car its not 50k but its wasnt £250

Matt21

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
how could it be more than 50K to build one yourself?

obviously caterham can source parts and make bits themself, but they will be making a fair profit on each one of those! they also pay alot for R&D too, which you wouldnt need to spend yourself.

wait for the 2nd hand ones

iank

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you keep the car forever a £50k caterham is a much better bet financially than a £30k build of a less "prestigious" marque. Whether it's as good or even a better car.

I'd bet you'd lose double the money on a non-caterham come time to sell. Especially if it's a relatively rare high performance Caterham being compared.

[Edited on 12/2/14 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jeffw

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
No doubt the residual on the 620R will be very good (as are things like Arial with similar specs) but you have to fund the purchase. So swings and roundabouts...

PhillipM

posted on 12/2/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffwI do want the gearbox though (Sadev) but it is only rated to 260 ft lb, which is why the 620R is detuned from what it could have with the setup on it.

They will run considerably higher than that without issues but obviously you then need to put it on a routine check for servicing, dogs become a yearly consumable as do the input bearings.

jeffw

posted on 12/2/14 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting......

rdodger

posted on 12/2/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Interesting......

http://quaife.co.uk/qbe60g

375 bhp
300ftlbs

PhillipM

posted on 12/2/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take the Sadev every time.
sdh2903

posted on 12/2/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Interesting......

http://quaife.co.uk/qbe60g

375 bhp
300ftlbs

6.5k +vat

That's 31 of uncle Ron's locosts and change for a pint............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.