Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: overhead pedals to floor mounted
corkyshot

posted on 18/2/14 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
overhead pedals to floor mounted

hi I was wondering if any one has gone about swapping, in my case a ford sierra brake assembly over to a floor mounted pedal assembly... so the ford pedal box is a single master cylinder and majority of floor mounted pedal boxes are bias brakes. so what would need to be done to the brake lines to make it work. im not to hot on my braking knowledge any help welcomed thanks in advance
jwhatley

posted on 18/2/14 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have just competed this over the winter.

I have gone from a sierra master cylinder over to a top mounted pedal box. I cut out the bulkhead and re welded a new one in, then installed new mountings for the pedal box.

I was going to go for a floor mounted, but you can get higher pedal ratios with a top mount pedal.

You should already have separate lines going to your front brakes so you can just replace the lines and connect them to one master cylinder, and it is the same for the rear, there should be one line from the master cylinder to a t piece at the rear for both sides. You can just connect that to the other master cylinder. It may be easier to replace the lines completely though. I have done this with braided hose and euroquip fittings, shouldn't cost you more than £30-40 to do the whole lot.

Not Anumber

posted on 18/2/14 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Very wise to convert pedals from overhead to floor. Overhead pedals can be hard to reach for many drivers and it can be difficult to find a harness and seat position that supports the required driving posture.

corkyshot

posted on 18/2/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
for me im doing it as the sierra pedal box had a small fracture this created play on the clutch pedal so the plastic teeth eroded because of the lateral movement. before the teeth eroded I welded some bracing to the pedal box but it wasn't enough to save the plastic quadrant. so it seems fitting to get rid of the weakest link a drop a floor mounted in... by the way this is my every day car so if you have a rough time scale to fit this in what would it likely be?
jwhatley

posted on 18/2/14 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to fit a floor mount then the only real issue is the bulkhead as it will not be cut to accept two or three master cylinders (depending if you have a hyd clutch) and the original holes will not be correct, so cutting and re welding a new plate in is the best option.

Might take a day or two, depends on how confident you are with cutting and welding, and the access you need to do it. All that you need to do after it's fitted is connect the hoses up and bleed the brakes. Then set up the bias correctly as you could be facing the wrong direction pretty quickly if not!

I disagree that a top mount is harder to reach though. As the pedals fit closer to the floor, and are actually further forwards. Plus there are much better pedal ratios available and the overall setup is easier to set up and adjust.

corkyshot

posted on 18/2/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
as for welding it my job so that's not an issue along with fitting the pedal box... with my rear brake they both go to a T junction which then becomes a single line, I presume il have to separate this and send 2 individual lines to the second master cylinder for the rear brakes?

thanks for the comments so far guys your really helpful

jwhatley

posted on 18/2/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
You will need seperate lines, one for the rear brakes from the rear cylinder to the t at the rear or the car. And two lines to the front from the other master cylinder

I'll send you some photos of how I've done mine for comparrison

[Edited on 18/2/14 by jwhatley]

paulf

posted on 18/2/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a floor mounted brake pedal with a single Sierra master cylinder, the clutch an throttle are top mounted as I found that I could gain some room in the foot well using that arrangement.
Basically my brake pedal is a floor hinged pedal and the master cylinder is mounted to a reinforced section of the bulkhead,I then plumbed it in as per standard sierra system, if I was going to do it again then i would use a smaller bore master cylinder to gain some pedal travel and reduce the effort.
Paul

jwhatley

posted on 18/2/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a fiesta one rather than a sierra MC, they are smaller but the same fitment.
kickinthenuts

posted on 21/2/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi jwhatley,

I was also hoping to go the top pedal route. I am interested as to what pedal set you have used as I have seen a few that I wasn't too sure would fit. Also are you still using a cable clutch. Any help with this would be great.

Cheers

David

jwhatley

posted on 21/2/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a tilton aluminum 600 series top mount: http://tiltonracing.com/product/600-series-firewall-mount-aluminum-pedal-assembly/

You can fit a willwood which is exactly the same. Went with the tilton because of the pedal adjustability and ratio adjustability.

I use a hydraulic clutch

[Edited on 21/2/14 by jwhatley]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.