Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Project
Mick534

posted on 19/2/14 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
New Project

Hi guys,

I've been directed here through PistonHeads, apparently this place is the best for locost advice. I'm currently trying to sell my M3 to make room (and funds) available for a locost build so its not actually begun yet however one thing that I am desperate to ask is... has anyone done an S2000 based haynes? I had an S and loved it and I am really keen to get that engine back in my life . I also plan on welding my own chassis, ive done a bit of Mig and Tig and i'm leaning towards a buying a tig machine at the moment. Has anyone tig'd a chassis and do you feel that it was really worth the extra time and effort?

Cheers
Mick

femster87

posted on 19/2/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome mate, Where abouts in South Yorkshire are you? I am in Rotherham
wylliezx9r

posted on 19/2/14 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've put an S2000 engine in my Haynes and I know of one other: tilly819 another member on here. I run mine on Omex management, Tilly did his with OEM. Any questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

tilly819

posted on 19/2/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^
What he said :p

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Mick534

posted on 19/2/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. Femster, I am in Rotherham too, I am out near J31 of the M1!

I will have many questions for you two guys but first of all, how do you like your S2000 engined rockets? I have heard that the engine is a bit tall for the standard haynes chassis, is this accurate?

jossey

posted on 19/2/14 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
More people trying to fit them than running them..... Lovely engine but won't fit easy...

I haven't been in one but I have been excited about seeing one up and running... My options had been the rx7 or s2000 engine when I started but I realised that a tiger had little engine options. I went with a bike engine....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris mason

posted on 19/2/14 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mick,

I put an S2000 engine in an Mk Indy back in 2005/6 when it was pretty much unheard of, since then a lot has changed and i believe there's more engine transplant related parts and knowledge available now.

As good as it was back then (and still is after 20000+ miles according to the new owner) i think there's more interesting power plants too choose from now, which will provide equal or more power, are better suited dimensionally and are generally cheaper but many have Turbo's strapped to them, so it may not be to your liking.

If you need any help/advice let me know, i'm about 1 miles from J31

Mick534

posted on 19/2/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, snap. I'm in Todwick mate, how about you? I'm a long term Honda nut to be honest which is part of the reason for wanting the S2000 engine. The gearbox is also amazing which is another reason and I really don't want to go FI if I can avoid it so it seems to be a no brainer for me. It is my first project though so I'm apprehensive. What are you building/driving now, Chris?
woodstock

posted on 20/2/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a Honda nut too, I loved my S2000 with the engine and gearbox being great. Unfortunately my S2000 met a sticky end on a trackday and it wasn't economical for me to repair it.

My budget was tight and a car came up with a bike engine (Fireblade 919 - still Honda) and I've been pretty pleased with that. It gives the same screaming 4 pot feel. A more modern bike engine would be even better and I'd definitely buy another. They also have the advantage of being smaller and lighter which for kit car builds is a plus.

Mine isn't road legal so only gets used on track but I can imagine that the electric reverse and tricky clutch would be the biggest difficulties for a road going car.

If you're set on the S2000 then I'd also take a look at Westfield and see how they have done it. There is also a rather nice white Tiger GTA with an S2000 in it that was on the cover of one of the kit car magazines last year that I could dig out if you want.

Mick534

posted on 20/2/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Woodstock. The bike engine does interest me but I've not done much research. How much is involved with the reverse gear? If I went down the bike engined route I think I might consider a paddle shift too. I'm sure MK have done it.

I'd appreciate the s2000 article if you could find it? Many thanks.

renetom

posted on 21/2/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
choices

Hi
We decide to go down the BEC route
R1 engine paddle gearshift & MNR reversing gearbox
gives 150 bhp ,works great.
blood sweat & tears + a load of money
Now due to circumstances sadly have to sell it.
Good luck whatever route you choose.
René

wylliezx9r

posted on 21/2/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Being biased I think the S2000 suits the nature of a 7 type car perfectly; high revving, rifle bolt gear change and brilliant sound. People say they lack torque but that doesn't apply in a 600kg car, you can lay down 11's in the road all day if desired or trundle around in 6th in near silence.

The engine is quite tall but I think this applies to most modern engines, it fits under the bonnet with a small bulge and has plenty of sump clearance . I don't think there is anything special about installing the engine ( I found it much easier than installing a bike engine ). I did modify one cross member so I could get the engine as far as back as possible for better weight distribution and gear stick position.

I opted to use standalone management rather than OEM. The big advantage being the ability to alter where V-tec engages. It is set to 4500 rpm on my car which gives a huge on cam power band.

HTH

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Mick534

posted on 21/2/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
You are talking me into it . Glad to hear that the engine wasn't too bad to install. I think i'd go with OEM management to be honest. I never drove the S thinking that the VTEC needed to engage lower in the rev band. Maybe i'd change my mind in a 7 but its something i could change later i guess.
Piooly

posted on 26/2/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I am in the middle of my build and I was going to go for an S2000 engine, the perfect option really for the car, but I just love V8 soundtrack and brutleness.... S I have a 330 bhp rover V8 dragster engine going in mine, should be interesting.

I too was going to,weld up my own chassis as I have all the kit etc but in the end I get one off ebay for £300., new never used. And looking at it now I would buy again even at £600 which is the normal rate, it's a heck of a,lot of work to even just weld up pre cut steel pack you can get. If I had to also cut all the steels, forget it. Also it's not a cheap option long term, it's cheaper really to buy a rolling chassis kit from a manufacturer as it comes with loads of stuff that really takes a fair while to construct and fabricate, plus it includes the shell etc. if I did it again I would buy a kit, even though I am customising mine a bit too, probably save a bit of money and a stack of time!! I know it's all part of the fun, but I am pleased I didn't have to make the chassis! I still have a huge amount of work to do and parts to buy.

Good luck, you won't look back

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.