Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car buying advice needed...
chrsgrain

posted on 20/2/14 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Car buying advice needed...

Hi all,

We've just moved to Australia (tough life!) and need to get a car.... All cars over here are pretty expensive, but I've been looking at a 1999 Merc SLK230 R170 which has done 75,000 Km (about 46000 miles). Its on for about £8,000.

I wondered if there was any advice about what to specifically check for, and if anyone has experience of owning one? My hope is that is is built like a tank and will go on and on, but any tips gratefully received!

Cheers

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

nick205

posted on 20/2/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
No idea on the specific car, but I always assume cars must last longer in Aus pint he warmer drier climate. Is that the case or not?

Not Anumber

posted on 21/2/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have owned Mercs for years but when it comes to sportscars the SLK of that era would not be something i would buy I'm afraid.

Most of that is based on the experience of Jeremy Stevens the technical director of the mercedes benz owners club (the original and only official UK club for mercs). He bought what looked like a great example and then discovered the hidden rust and the problems that were quite tricky to fix. he wont say anything against it but to me if a middle aged sports car takes more time and money to maintain than a really old classic one then thats a decider. MX5, Boxter etc all look more attractive as would an original MGB for that matter. Having said that a neighbour of mine has had one for years, he bought it from new, sold it to someone he knew after 4 years then bought it back off them several years later again and uses it as his everyday car. The jury is still out.

skippad

posted on 21/2/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a 2001 slk230 with 53,000 on clock
very nice car to own and drive, a couple bits of rust on edge of front wings (getting fettled soon) otherwise loverly, always gets admiring glances and comments about its condition and looks!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.