Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Yank wants to help . . .
carcentric

posted on 5/11/04 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
A Yank wants to help . . .

I've heard there will be a vote in the UK for PM "sometime soon," and I'd like to help you folks make your decision. Trouble is, I don't know a lot about the UK or the laws there, let alone who your political figures are. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to offer my opinions as to what would be best for you, my spanner-turning friends, just as many of you have been so helpful in our recent election.

Most of the subjects I've heard of are dead: Shakespeare, Winston Churchill, George Harrison, Colin Chapman, etc. - I assume they'd be ineligible as a result of assuming room temperature. Another bunch apparently don't live there any more: John Cleese, Hugh Grant, etc. - if that matters - and I assume Madonna "Hester?" hasn't lived there long enough to qualify.

So, if you could please provide me with some names of possible contenders and maybe a sentence or two about each (no more than a paragraph), I'd be glad to provide my informed recommendation. Unflattering descriptions or nicknames given by their opposition would be very helpful in my assessment.

I already have some insight into the qualities of Tony Blair (splendid orator) and Richard Branson (your Donald Trump), but there must be more to pick from, correct?

If there are rules (e.g., age, previous offices or occupations), please let me know - no sense backing someone who's not eligible.

Also:
1) Does the PM have to be a "Sir" or "Madam?"
2) How about Scots - are they eligible?

And does Vanessa Redgrave still live there? Seems like she'd be a good PM candidate for those who think Kerry would have been a better President than Bush has been.

[Edited on 5/11/04 by carcentric]

andyps

posted on 5/11/04 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Trouble is, over here money can't buy you the PM's job. It helps, but you still have to serve time to become leader of a party which receives enough votes for it to have a majority of MP's.

There are lots of names we would probably like to see but at the moment the only contenders are Tony Bliar, Michael Howard and Charles Kennedy (not related to the Kennedys you would know as far as I am aware) - oh, and maybe Robert Kilroy-Silk

Those that would make a good PM - non of the above in my opinion, but it's all we got!

Pretty sure that we would allow a Scot (Charles Kennedy has no chance otherwise), I know of no age limit, and they do not need to be a Sir or anything.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carcentric
2) How about Scots - are they eligible?

I think it's compulsory in the current government...

David

P.S. Nice post, Mr Carcentric!

JoelP

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
great post carcentric...

quote:
So, if you could please provide me with some names of possible contenders and maybe a sentence or two about each (no more than a paragraph), I'd be glad to provide my informed recommendation.

ROTFL

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
ChrisW is doing a good job for us on here.....

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
good point col! chrisW for PM it is.

what were his policies again?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

what were his policies again?

only one as far as I can tell - keep things working without any hassle for the people.....with only the occasional gentle words that remind us he is around and is the Guru of keeping us together

definitely ChrisW for the job!

[Edited on 5/11/04 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Notwithstanding the fact that Good old George won the contest in the States, our politics are nothing like across the pond.
For a start we have more choice (Monster raving loony party), and there is no doubt in my humble opinion that a lot of people in this country are far from happy about the stance taken by Tony Blair and the "assistance" for whatever reason we have given to our Special friends in Iraq.
We have been lied to with regards to WMD's, the timescale with which these weapons could have been launched, and though I have no doubt that Battlefield weapons (short range) were available to his forces, I fail to see how these could have been a danger to our to us. I hope that Joe public in this country remembers these errors when Mr Cheesy
Grin stands for re-election. Trouble is I see no one else on the horizon that looks a better bet, maybe Gordon Brown? But then Im biased as hes also a Scot.
Shug.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, I wouldn't care which side won our next election - as long as they have a small majority and have to work hard and negotiate to get their policies through. At the moment Labour can push through any policy they fancy without opposition, which is a bad state of affairs for everyone.
The Tories chickened out of having a candidate that would have been more than a match for Bliar - Ken Clark - due to his pro-Europe stance. I would have loved to see him in opposition, as he would have torn the government to shreds (although I'm no Tory, I hasten to add).

rgds,

David

lewis635

posted on 5/11/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
No offence meant carcentric, but any country that is daft enought to vote for that idiot George W, not once but twice. is in no way qualified to assist us in our choice of leader, it is because of him and our own spineless PM that there is 3 scottish soldiers lying in body bags this morning, I hope that should any good come out of his reelection is that he realises that he cant go around the world invading whichever country he has a dislike for, hopefully he will work towards peace not war.
Ill get off my soap box now.

zilspeed

posted on 5/11/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm personally very flattered that you're taking such an interest in our litle insignificant aircraft carrier. It's not as if we're really that important on a global scale. We're a small island just off the west coast of europe - that's all.
Whereas you guys are truly the world's last remaining superpower, and the president of your country is the world's most powerful individual for the term of their office. Quite a responsibility.
And when you consider that wherever your government goes, ours follows like lap dogs.

Jeez - I wonder why we're interested in you guys picking a good guy...

I don't usually get interested in politcs on such public forums - especially when it's so off topic, but I couldn't help but comment on this occasion.

Anyway,
back to engines, suspension et al...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think mr carcentric was after a jokey set of suggestions.

After all we have slated off his political system a bit.

yeah, its easier to be a PM than a president. We have only had the one shot dead compared to your four, so thats gotta say something (we are worse shots?)

Anyone can be president. Are not all of them from rich backgrounds? Having said that, in the UK most of our top politicans are lawyers, or barristers (top lawyer) like blair and his wife. There are a fair few 'of the people' in government tho - unless im mistaken most of the filthy rich are conservatives.

I think initially my vote has to be for ozzy osborne.

He doesnt seem to know whats going on, relies a lot on his wife for support, is probably on something, and has no sense of control (quad bike). He's also well known in the USA, and makes a lot of unintelligable noise.

Dunno about you lot, but I think he's got all the qualities needed for PM - and would still make more sense than george bush.

Dont you just know that if he was born in america, that swatzenegger would be vote in at the end of bush's term....

atb

steve

[Edited on 5/11/04 by stephen_gusterson]

ozzy

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
uhhhh mann, eerrrrr, sharon.

uhhhh, imm likkee stiilll on this heeeaaaavvvy trip, but pleeeeesse tell me thaa boosshh duudde diiddnt winn.

this sturf is a baaadd trip tys time....

ozzy
future PM

swood

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
correct spelling is Tony Bliar.
Does splendid orator means he speaks endess bul**it ?

Unlike America we will not return our president (Bliar) to office or his meddling cronys for that matter.
enough is enough

When you're up to your ass in alligators you tend to forget the initial objective was to drain the swamp !.

timf

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swood

now get it right

tony b* liar

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
a tenner says blair will walk it blindfolded even if he was caught dogging in parliament square with anne widdicombe

was a lovely thought

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by swood
Does splendid orator means he speaks endess bul**it ?

Unlike America we will not return our president (Bliar) to office or his meddling cronys for that matter.
enough is enough

zilspeed

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

Dont you just know that if he was born in america, that swatzenegger would be vote in at the end of bush's term....

The wheels are already turning to solve that little problem - may never happen of course....

Washington Times - Naturalized Americans and the Presidency

And Here

[Edited on 5/11/04 by zilspeed]

Volvorsport

posted on 5/11/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
hmm , completely off topic , but i was wondering why there isnt any american gold medal winners for shooting et al , would have thought itd be second nature for them rednecks .
timf

posted on 5/11/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
hmm , completely off topic , but i was wondering why there isnt any american gold medal winners for shooting et al , would have thought itd be second nature for them rednecks .

not allowed semi - fully auto in competition

Dick Axtell

posted on 5/11/04 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
a tenner says blair will walk it blindfolded even if he was caught dogging in parliament square with anne widdicombe

Chaq'un a son gout. My preference would be Joanna Lumley for PM, and Carole Vordypops for Chancellor. They'd be more entertaining than the present incumbents.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

turbo time

posted on 5/11/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever happened to the ole' Iron lady? I'm interested in knowing what the people think about her now that she has been out for some time.

Getting back on topic...
"Do you think maybe Blair is a man who take his clothes off and let his hcrumb go hard and put it in another man's bottom?"
- Borat

David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbo time
Whatever happened to the ole' Iron lady?

Once described as "The sort of woman, when you were a kid, would never give you your ball back"

Mad as a hatter nowadays, I believe. Mind you, if I had kids like hers I'd be over the edge as well...

rgds,

David

carcentric

posted on 5/11/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
That's more like it

quote:
Originally posted by swood and timf
Does splendid orator means he speaks endess bul**it ? . . . now get it right
tony b* liar

Okay, now you're giving me what I wanted - of the likely contenders for PM, what's the put-down most associated with each of them? As an outsider, I find it's more efficient if I just evaluate candidates on the clever barbs their opponents taunt them with.

As to what I meant by "splendid orator" I meant just that - as an enthusiastic fan of the English language, I thoroughly enjoy a well crafted sentence, and a full paragraph without grammatical error is so rare here as to, like, you know, . . . well, it's just awsum, man.

And (at the risk of getting serious for a moment) to stephen_g, and the others who referred to our "thing" with guns, we see our freedom from colony status as resulting from having an armed population - it's a big deal and we're proud of it. Canada and Australia (as I understand it) waited for permission to leave the Empire, but waiting isn't something we're good at.

And one last penny's worth: We don't invade every country we don't like, we only invade countries that really p*ss us off! Left alone, we're quite content to be self-centered and smug (in a nice way, of course) . . . .

And, for what it's worth, I consider myself an anglophile with ancestry in Ireland (my father's side) and Scotland (my mother's side). Any of you'd be welcome to spend up to three days in my home (that's the max here for visitors, including relatives), and I'd let you play with my tools and car parts. The post I started this thread with was 2/3 in jest, and 1/3 to introduce a different point of view (how'd you like it if we criticized your choices?). I hope my playful approach didn't come off as too sarcastic - I didn't want to offend.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Volvorsport

posted on 5/11/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
not at all offended !!

With some irish ancestry , you definitely must be a good shot !!

As for politics - as long as the government doesnt F@@k up too much , im not that bothered .

ooh , now you come to mention it though EU regs are closing in and the government are proposing to tax you on how many cars you actually own even if they arent on the road , Ive got a petition , ill post it later .

James

posted on 5/11/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Carcentric,

Not offended at all. I'm extremely guilty of believing it matters to people who don't live in the US/can't vote who the President is or atleast what his policies are!
In global terms, it no longer really matters that much who is PM of the UK. On the other hand the policies of the leader of the US very much affect all of us (the rest of the world).

All the best,

James

EDIT: Thanks for the invite! It's returned if you're ever in the UK!

[Edited on 6/11/04 by James]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.