Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR 1100 C cdi wiring help
zzr-fleet

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR 1100 C cdi wiring help

Hi. Iv spent all weekend with help from my mate trying to wire up my cdi unit on my zzr 1100 c engine. We have tried everything we can think of with help from wiring diagrams but still have no spark at the plugs. Could anyone tell me how they have wired theirs up? Wire colours etc...

Thanks

INDY BIRD

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I presume you have the side stand switch isolated, or it connected so it stays in etc ?

Will get no spark if not?

zzr-fleet

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have looped the 2 wires for stand switch.

Thanks

kj

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try teegrey19 he just done same engine

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

rick1962uk

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
buy one of these from Kojaycat worth every penny realy easy to follow

kojaykat

teegray19

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I've just done mine, the only thing I used from the zzr loom was the CDI. I have a diagram fully labeled that I done myself. Unfortunately I'm away for a week from tomorrow, il try.... And get down to take a pic before I leave tomoz.

zzr-fleet

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
That would be a big help if you could do that, im not the best when it comes to wiring especially bike engine electrics.
Iv used the coil packs off the zzr but cant get spark. What coil packs have you used on yours?

jossey

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure all the earth wires are connected. My zzr was a pain till I found another earth I had missed.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
teegray19

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
yep just the zzr coils.

the wiring of the cdi is really easy - il hopefully get a chance todo it tomorrow if not it will be the weekend, hopefully that will get it sorted.

i looked at the car you bought! bit far away for me tho, looks like a good bit of kit.

coozer

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
See if these help..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

zzr-fleet

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its ok appart from the wiring needs basically pulling out and starting again. Getting it running will be a big step so any help would be great.
Only other thing I can think of is iv blown the cdi when I wired it up wrong yesterday.
Would I be right saying the cdi off a C will run both engines C and D?

teegray19

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
yep, the CDI will run both engines - hmm, possibly - id expect some fuses to have went pop before the cdi tho?
zzr-fleet

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah good point. Havent had any blown fuses.
Iv got the constant power to 1 side of each coil but dont think im getting the pulse down the green and black wires from the cdi

teegray19

posted on 24/3/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a ground problem, is the engine in neutral with the switch connected? Side stand switch? Il go grab my drawing.
teegray19

posted on 24/3/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Oh I remember why mine wouldn't start nw.. It's been 6months since I done the CDI. One of the wires needs 12v only when cranking to advance the timing for easy starting. I didn't have anything until I connected it to the starter solenoid!
zzr-fleet

posted on 24/3/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Do you remember what colour wire needs to be connected to starter solenoid?
teegray19

posted on 28/3/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

did you get this sorted or do you still need my wiring diagram?

zzr-fleet

posted on 28/3/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have found a wiring diagram off here, not sure if its yours though. I am going to have another go at it this weekend.
teegray19

posted on 28/3/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
U2u me your email and il send across a piccy of mine. I'm back from bonnie Scotland nw.
jossey

posted on 28/3/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
if you search on here for my posts regarding ZZR1100 there is tons and loads of people like guiness have provided diagrams etc.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zzr-fleet

posted on 28/3/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help but I think iv found the problem. I took the cover off the pick up coil and its full of oil, the oil was way over maximum and stinking of petrol
zzr-fleet

posted on 11/4/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Right on to the next problem. New engine fitted (still zzr1100 c) it starts but will only run with the key held in the start position.

Anyone ever had this before? Or know how to solve it?

Thanks

stevio73

posted on 15/4/14 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Unsure on your issue, I'm trying to 'tweak' my loom to get rid of the junction/fuse box on the bike bit of the loom. The rest of the car will run through a bespoke loom and fuse box. The only reason the original fuse box is still there is because I was unsure what magic occurred within it to make the CID work.

I know there's the side stand switch, kill switch, etc, but I didn't want to fall into the trap of cutting something out that's essential.

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

rick1962uk

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
im along way away from the loom yet but i will start to draw a zzr110 to haynes loom i will split it in to 2 one for the engine ignition and starting/charging and another for lights etc will post them up as soon as i can
they are realy easy one thing is the fuse box is rubbish they always corrode on the back
another thing they like is real good quality connectors 80% of the problems i have to sort out is down to crap conectors i use the uninitiated type that you put the sheve on after and always solder the wire before crimping with a ratchet crimper

these are great

or these

and these are a must

daviep

posted on 15/4/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevio73
Unsure on your issue, I'm trying to 'tweak' my loom to get rid of the junction/fuse box on the bike bit of the loom. The rest of the car will run through a bespoke loom and fuse box. The only reason the original fuse box is still there is because I was unsure what magic occurred within it to make the CID work.

I know there's the side stand switch, kill switch, etc, but I didn't want to fall into the trap of cutting something out that's essential.

Have a look at page 1, coozer posted a diagram which shows exactly what ypu are asking.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.