Author: Subject: What sport camera to get
Trollyjack

posted on 31/3/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
What sport camera to get

Will hope to be doing some trackdays soon
Wanting to get a onboard camera
been searching the one to get

GoPro quite dear
been told to go for a SJ4000 around £70 and looks quite good for the money.

any one out there any recomendations

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 31/3/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
thread bookmarked, I have the very same question
theconrodkid

posted on 31/3/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
all you need to know on here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=techmoan+car+camera&sm=1

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 31/3/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
linky

I bought one of these for a christmas present for Dad. He manufactured a mount in the rear of our Clio sprint car. I think its excellent - some footage from a recent track day.

please ignore the driving quality, It was a shakedown, and I'm driving poorly after a year off! (thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it)

BenB

posted on 31/3/14 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51954__mobius_actioncam_a_1080p_hd_video_camera_set_with_live_video_out.html

appear to give quite good results

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 31/3/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've had my GoPro 2 for over 2 years now, and I love it. Admittedly I bought it in the US when on holiday (and paid in $ what it costs in £ over here), but I love it. There are plenty of accessories for it too, so I've yet to come across a situation where I couldn't use it if I wanted to. Yes, the latest model is dear, but have a look on eBay for everyone selling older models to upgrade to the latest one. There's nothing the older one can't do with an accessory that the new one does if you're that fussed about it, and they're not too dear second hand. The only accessory I would advise from the off is either a second battery, or extended battery backpack for it.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

40inches

posted on 31/3/14 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of these SJ1000.
Got it from here SDV1B HD 1080P Waterproof Mini Sport DV Camera 4 Diving Bike Helmet Car Recorder | eBay
–°å»ºç½‘页 1

The camera is amazingly good quality, and the video is superb. Buy 5 for the price of a Gopro
The downside is that the mounts are sh*te, I got a suction and a roll bar mount for the GoPro for £12 for both on ebay.

DavidW

posted on 31/3/14 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried a couple of the cheap options which kind of did the job but weren't really up to it and was about to order a SJ4000 until I found new GoPro White editions on eBay for £152 delivered.

Now it's arrived I can see why people rave about them as it seems a real cut above the cheaper stuff and probably actually worth the additional expense.

I've bought an external mic for it which I can position out of the wind and get quite nice sound too which is a bonus with the GoPro.

Looking forward to taking it on reach soon.

David

mikeb

posted on 31/3/14 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple of cheap ones ~£50-£60 quid from ebay. I really wouldn't bother but this was for snowboarding not in car.
Go Pro's really are a cut above so if you can afford one get one, we used them on our R300 racecar and the lad from motors tv used them for all there on car work.

You want 720p as a minimum, I like 60fps for slow mo feedback and wide angle len 170 deg.

If you dont' go go pro, the drift hd or sony action cam are both very good. Think one of them now has gps build in for overlays.

The cheapies work ok so if you are really strapped on budget you'll get adequate results.

Soot1e

posted on 14/4/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy used Go Pro's Hero2's for £120-£150 on Ebay and usually come with some useful accessories. They are the best and the remote mike is a must to cut down the wind noise.

Bernie

DavidW

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I tested my go pro with an external mic over the weekend and it's fantastic.

Bear in mind the hero 3 versions have wifi and you can use your iPhone as a remote control and viewfinder using a free app.

Soot1e

posted on 15/4/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW

Bear in mind the hero 3 versions have wifi and you can use your iPhone as a remote control and viewfinder using a free app.

The 3's are very nice with the gizmo's but the OP doesn't want to spend £300 + on his camera. Guess he's like me and would rather spen d his money on trackdays

Bernie

Matt21

posted on 16/4/14 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
just get the gopro3 white....
DavidW

posted on 16/4/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soot1e
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW

The 3's are very nice with the gizmo's but the OP doesn't want to spend £300 + on his camera. Guess he's like me and would rather spen d his money on trackdays

As above, I paid £152 for my white edition which I think makes the £70 camera seem poor value.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.