Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: emerald M3D help
Trev Borg

posted on 31/3/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
emerald M3D help

Finally tried to comunicate with my ecu.

Its and emerald M3D and today managed to connect to it.

Problem is that when I try to read the map, it gets to 70% and then fails

I have tried several times and the same thing every time.

I am hoping to take the carbs off and refit the FI using the ecu.

At the moment it is just running sparks

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

plutos3

posted on 31/3/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
you could go to the site and try down loading the latest version of the software. If that does not work then you could ring dave or kyle im sure they will put you right.
Trev Borg

posted on 31/3/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have the latest version. I have never used this before, so dont know of there has ever been snt issues with the car.
When I got the car, it had been stood for 5 years, and had had the FI removed and carbs fitted.

I tried to get her running on the carbs, but could not get it to run well or tick over properly, so i thought i would wold look at the settings, then matb put the FI back on.

By that time, who cares.

The Black Flash

posted on 1/4/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
So is it quite an old ECU? If so, the latest software could be too new and you need an older version? Best to give 'em a ring, the guys there are very helpful and will get you sorted.
Trev Borg

posted on 1/4/14 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hopfully I willbe collecting and old laptop tomorrow with serial port. It may be that the serial to usb adapter for my laptop is the issue. If this does not help then I will try to contact the blokes at emerald and see if they can help.

I might be able to stick in a new map and it will work, but wold like to know what map it has first before fecking arounf with it

By that time, who cares.

The Black Flash

posted on 2/4/14 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, definately extract and save the map to disk before changing anything.
DW100

posted on 2/4/14 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have Emerald M3dk on my hillclimber.

Make sure you are using the right piece of software for your ECU.

What cable are you using? I believe the pinout is different to a normal serial cable.

Trev Borg

posted on 2/4/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
The serial lead for my model is the round socket on the ecu and serial other end, I think its one of the first ones, the M3D

I have tried to reduce the speed of the port to see if that helps but to no avail. I picked up the old laptop today with a proper serial port and tried again, but still fails at 70% of download.

I took a screenshot and will try and contavt emeral tomorrow to see if I can get some advice.

I mat still be able to program the ecu, but I wanted to see what map it had on as I had problems getting the car to run properly.

The ecu is just doing sparks at the moment, but wanted to check things before any changes.

By that time, who cares.

Trev Borg

posted on 1/10/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Still having issues.

I have managed to upload the map I want, amd have evn managed to read the map, but no injection working.

It has fuel at the rail, it has sparks, and if I quirt in some easy start will fire., but injectors don't want to play.

By that time, who cares.

rusty nuts

posted on 1/10/17 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest testing for a feed and a switched Earth at the injectors using a noid light or similar, do not use a test light as it may cause damage to the ECU Not sure with your version of the Emerald but I had to use resistors in the wiring to get the correct impedance as the injectors were low impedance. Worth checking yours. Have the injectors been sitting around for a while? they can sieze which could be your problem? It may be possible to clean them your self but better if you can find someone to test and clean them for you . As you have sparks then things like the crankshaft position sensor would seem to be OK
Trev Borg

posted on 1/10/17 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
The ecu needs high resistance injectors, or a ballast restistor in series. The throttle bodies and injectors were on the car previously with this ecu so should be no problems.

Checks sparks again and they are fine.

I have managed to re-upload a map. and then download and check it, everything looks fine.

I did find a problem with TPS though. It looks like thr ecu need 15 positions and is only getting 3. I have tried to adjust it but not happening. Will look at this tomorrow.

By that time, who cares.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/17 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Your original post was at least 3 1/2 years ago, plenty of time for injectors to jum up !
Trev Borg

posted on 2/10/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
You spotted my lack of ambition and dedication. They have been stood a lot longer than that. I have had the car for five years, it was stood for five years before I got it, and the fuel injection had been taken off and it had carbs on. So maybe twelve years or so.

I am now thinking it may be an earth issue as the voltsColts seem to drop dramatically when cranking. Not sure what the threshold voltage is to open the injectors.

By that time, who cares.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/17 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had problems with my injectors after not using the car for a few months. I took them off and rigged up a high pressure pump operated through a starter button type switch to each individual injector and pumped a mixture of fresh petrol with a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through them whilst gently tapping the injectors to"kick start" them . After cleaning each one ( injecting into a clean container and watching the spray pattern) I could see the spray pattern improving, gave them a few minutes for each one before refitting, the car then ran faultlessly.
Trev Borg

posted on 5/10/17 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Injectors clicking fine. Looks like its a fuel pressure regulator issue.

By that time, who cares.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.