Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: trolley jack for the garage
CNHSS1

posted on 1/4/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
trolley jack for the garage

ive got a lightweight alloy trolley jack which is ideal for slinging in the trailer when off to events, but its not ideal in the garage where something with a greater lift height would be useful. So my question to the Locost collective is, what can you recommend?

criteria is:-

not ridiculously expensive

must lift 500mm plus (ideally 600mm)

needs to be entry height of 85mm-90mm ideally (can compromise)

not so bloody big that its like moving an artic in the garage!

doesn't need to lift more than 2tons ever

did I mention cheapish? ;-)

cheers

Craig

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/4/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tj3lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack

No idea of quality, something that appeals more than price.
I had a Weber jack for years, bought secondhand. It got left outside too often and died. Should have got it rebuilt, it was a great bit of kit which I still miss.

I currently use a sealey low entry jack.
http://www.bodyshop-tools-supplies.co.uk/product_view.php?id=18666&gclid=CJq05PuTv70CFYbMtAodkWMAXQ

Not bad, but miss my Weber.

Quite a spec you have asked for!

T66

posted on 1/4/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mine came from Costco @ £80 and lifts 3t

And is very low profile, so was able (when I owned it) to lift my lowered Saab, without mucking on with bits of wood etc.

CNHSS1

posted on 1/4/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
clifty

id seen the SGS stuff, just seemed cheap so will see if anyone else has bought one I think.

we have that sealey in the workshop at work, its great :-) although being greedy id like a little more lift height (even at the expense of low entry height)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 1/4/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
T66
juts had a look at the Costco version, looks pretty good :-)

T66

posted on 1/4/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
T66
juts had a look at the Costco version, looks pretty good :-)

Had mine about 2 years, its heavy but wheels about ok, and like I said lifts low cars or 4x4s.

Slimy38

posted on 1/4/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
clifty

id seen the SGS stuff, just seemed cheap so will see if anyone else has bought one I think.

My engine hoist is from SGS, it is an unbelievable piece of kit for the money. If their jacks are comparable then I'd be happy with it.

Duncan36

posted on 1/4/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Costco one. It's lifts 500mm and is 75mm when down. They are now about £93 + vat but I've had mine for over a year and so far so good.

[Edited on 1/4/14 by Duncan36]

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

CNHSS1

posted on 1/4/14 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
spotted this bad boy! not gonna suffer from lift height, could get the chassis onto the chassis stands with that!!

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tjh15-professional-long-chassis-trolley-jack

BangedupTiger

posted on 1/4/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at a Costco one last year, but it didn't have a low enough entry point and weighted 53kgs.

Bought a Clarke racing jack instead, 10kg and easily goes low enough.

mitch2b

posted on 1/4/14 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
the Costco alloy one is very light and easy to move about , £109 INC VAT but worth it, low entry wide pad fits well under the libra and with the big wide pad, no worries about it damaging the Fiberglass underside,

Mitch

ste

posted on 1/4/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
b&q do an alloy 'racing' jack for £79. no idea on the spec or quality though as I've only seen it on their website

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/car-maintenance-car-accessories/access-lifting/Torq-Aluminium-Racing-Jack-11377527

CNHSS1

posted on 10/4/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Spotted this bad boy! not gonna suffer from lift height, could get the chassis onto the chassis stands with that!!

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/trolley-jacks/tjh15-professional-long-chassis-trolley-jack

bit of an update, bought this one as its got a huge lift height , making it ideal for lifting the chassis onto my tall chassis stands.

quality seems good, albeit paint finish is a little orange peeley compared to a Clarke/Sealey etc.

its F***ing heavy though! only suitable for a garage jack, you wouldn't want to be lifting it in and out of a tow vehicle very often

SGS customer service was OKish when their courier UK Mail (read:- UK Fail ) ballsed up the delivery twice, but I guess the carrier caused the issue

just ordered some axles stands from them too, will report back

CNH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.